• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help identifying Grandpas old black powder rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssconver777

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently lost my father and inherited a couple of my granddads old black powder rifles. Unfortunately, since his passing I have realized how many questions I never knew I needed to ask until my two greatest teachers were gone. These two black powder rifles origin being amongst that long list. The two have different bore sizes; I believe one to be near .30 cal and the other to be near .50 cal. They both have etchings around the actions.
The .30 cal has a number of brass embellishments and an "H" etched near the nipple that has an arrow as the cross member of the "H". It also seems to have two places for mounting rear sights. Behind the aft sight mount it is stamped "VII". Both rifles also have dual triggers; I believe one to be a set trigger for the very light (hair) firing trigger. The barrel is 39+5/16 inches from tang to muzzle.
The .50 cal. unfortunately has even less identifying markings. About 6" aft of the rear sight it has a "B" etched in little dots. Which, I suppose could possibly be a "13" but I'm pretty sure it's a "B". Just forward of the rear sight there is a triangle/ arrow, again etched in little dots pointing down the barrel towards the muzzle. The barrel length is 39+11/16 inches from tang to muzzle. Both rifles have a nice little cheek comb carved into them that combined with the curved butt stock make them quit comfortable to shoulder and aquire sight picture.
I'll attach as many pics as I can to demonstrate what I've got but I'm new here so I'm not sure how many I can post or exactly how.
I really appreciate any and all info you may have on them; even if it's only a link to other info resources. Thanks for taking time out of your day. And if your dad is still around.... Make sure to ask million questions while you can!View attachment KIMG0452.JPGView attachment KIMG0451.JPGView attachment KIMG0450.JPGView attachment KIMG0449.JPGView attachment KIMG0448.JPGView attachment KIMG0447.JPGView attachment KIMG0446.JPGView attachment KIMG0445.JPGView attachment KIMG0444.JPGView attachment KIMG0443.JPG

Hey guys, I recently lost my father and inherited a couple of my granddads old black powder rifles. Unfortunately, since his passing I have realized how many questions I never knew I needed to ask until my two greatest teachers were gone. These two black powder rifles origin being amongst that long list. The two have different bore sizes; I believe one to be near .30 cal and the other to be near .50 cal. They both have etchings around the actions.
The .30 cal has a number of brass embellishments and an "H" etched near the nipple that has an arrow as the cross member of the "H". It also seems to have two places for mounting rear sights. Behind the aft sight mount it is stamped "VII". Both rifles also have dual triggers; I believe one to be a set trigger for the very light (hair) firing trigger. The barrel is 39+5/16 inches from tang to muzzle.
The .50 cal. unfortunately has even less identifying markings. About 6" aft of the rear sight it has a "B" etched in little dots. Which, I suppose could possibly be a "13" but I'm pretty sure it's a "B". Just forward of the rear sight there is a triangle/ arrow, again etched in little dots pointing down the barrel towards the muzzle. The barrel length is 39+11/16 inches from tang to muzzle. Both rifles have a nice little cheek comb carved into them that combined with the curved butt stock make them quit comfortable to shoulder and aquire sight picture.
I'll attach as many pics as I can to demonstrate what I've got but I'm new here so I'm not sure how many I can post or exactly how.
I really appreciate any and all info you may have on them; even if it's only a link to other info resources. Thanks for taking time out of your day. And if your dad is still around.... Make sure to ask million questions while you can!View attachment 356582View attachment 356583View attachment 356584View attachment 356585View attachment 356586View attachment 356587View attachment 356588View attachment 356589View attachment 356590View attachment 356591
More pictures here:
I really appreciate any and all info you may have on them; even if it's only a link to other info resources. Thanks for taking time out of your day. And if your dad is still around.... Make sure to ask million questions while you can!View attachment 356582View attachment 356583View attachment 356584View attachment 356585View attachment 356586View attachment 356587View attachment 356588View attachment 356589View attachment 356590View attachment 356591
More pics here:

Attachments

• KIMG0442.JPG
    4.8 MB
  • KIMG0441.JPG
    5.1 MB
  • KIMG0440.JPG
    4.1 MB
  • KIMG0439.JPG
    4.4 MB
  • KIMG0438.JPG
    4.6 MB
  • KIMG0437.JPG
    4.5 MB
  • KIMG0436.JPG
    4.2 MB
  • KIMG0435.JPG
    4.5 MB
  • KIMG0434.JPG
    4.4 MB
I am not an old gun expert, it appears you have two very nice original rifles, circa 1850 or newer give or take a few years. The bottom is a southern half stock rifle, just a guess but the top rifle appears to be a 3/4 stock rifle from Ohio or the surrounding area, others will know more than what I am guessing on the top rifle.

Looks like you have a couple of nice old guns with a family history.

First thing is to confirm neither have old loads in their bores, have you been able to do that?

Back