• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help in finding patchings

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerhound

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone out there can help me with a problem.I am looking for patching material,particularity pillow ticking .017 for my brand new Leman Trade.54cal Rifle from Green River Rifle Works.That I will be getting from track of the wolf.I need about 1 yard of it.Thank
you very much and much appreciate.Scott

Some of the department stores carry ticking. (Walmart, Alco, Target) Last time I looked at Walmart, they had several choices. Look at the label on the end of the bolt of cloth to see if it's 100% cotton. Some smaller towns still have independent dry goods stores also. New material is best, but I did salvage some once from a feather pillow (SOMEBODY was allergic).
Jon D

Congratulations on your new rifle. As far as patching material, try one of your local Walmart, JoAnn's or Hancock stores. Take a Micrometer with you. I have found most of the pillow ticking at the Walmart store here runs about .017. Wash and dry it twice to remove all the sizing in the new cloth. Good luck.
OB

JoAnn's carrys #40 cotton drill, which mics about .018. Cotton drill has a higher thread count and will not burn out or cut through like ticking will.

They sell fabrics in as little as 1/4 or 1/8th of a yard, so buy a coupla small batches of different thickness and thread counts to try for patching.

If you don't have a round patch cutter, just cut 'em square. It won't make any difference unless you are into shooting one hole groups, off a bench, at 100 plus yards.
God bless

Walmart's getting out of the fabric business here. They remodeled both of our Supercenters and got rid of the fabrics. They still sell some sewing stuff, but no fabric. Across the street is Hobby Lobby and Hancock Fabrics, though. They both have better prices, anyway.

Went to the local WallyWorld a few weeks ago to replenish the ticking supply and found they had closed out the fabrics section. :cursing: We have a couple of quilt shops, and I was on my way to one of those when I stopped in the local Ben Franklin ( :shocked2: that should take you back!) and lo and behold: some fine blue stripe pillow ticking in 0.018 AND come nice cotton drill in the same thickness. Now I have to make a decision. :idunno:

Back