• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Help Pickin a Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ppanepinto

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm lookin for my first kit, and need help with style. I live in Southeast Louisiana, and would like a rilfe style that would have been seen in the Louisiana/Mississippi/Alabama area. I know the French were more into smoothbores, but I would like a rifle. Time Period would be between 1760-1790. Thank you for your help on this one. I tried a few searches, but not what to look for.

Interesting problem.

I just finished reading a book on Colonial arms that have been dug up all across the areas populated by white people including those areas.
Most of these "digs" were at sites that preceded the time period you've mentioned.

A number of both French and English guns have been recovered but not one of them was a rifle.

The typical "Southern" or "Tennessee" rifles offered by companies or muzzleloading suppliers have many features that place them in the mid 1800's, far to late for the time period you are looking for.

In the book "RIFLES OF COLONIAL AMERICA", Vol II by George Shumway, pages 510 thru 591 show 21 rifles that show a great deal of promise of having been made in the Southern areas during the time period you mention.
If your local library has a copy or can get one for you to read it would be well worth your time.

Generally speaking, these guns show a combination of English and Pennsylvania architecture.
Many of them had wooden patchbox covers or very simple metal patchboxes often without sideplates.

Most of them have English flintlocks on them and carving is minimal.

I was lookin at the Southern Mountain, but I think that the Virginia might be closer. Thanks for the heads up on the book, will look for it.

Back