• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

need help with daughters homework

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcook

Pilgrim
Reaction score
my daughter has a report to do on muzzleloaders so after surfing the net for awhile i came across this site.
first question is , what is the difference between muzzleloader an blackpower?? next when was the muzzleloader invented??? will be back with some other questions.

thanks

david

Black powder is what is used to expull the projectile out of a muzzle loader. A muzzle loader is a weapon that is loaded (powder, patch, ball) down the muzzle end.

Muzzleloaders as weapons have been around since the 14th Century. Sort of a little canon on a stick ignited by hand with a burning piece of wick.

Muzzleloaders use blackpower as a propellant. There are other propellants available, but we'll speak no more of them. Bad mojo.

There are other propellants available, but we'll speak no more of them. Bad mojo.
Way to go Stumpkiller!
Old Charlie

Just in case you don't know already, the term muzzleloader is most often associated with a type of rifle (shoulder fired type arm) that is loaded from the muzzle end (front end where the projectile comes out when fired). There are also muzzleloading pistols. Not sure if Mudmedic knew exactly what type of "weapons" we were referring too. Uncrichie...

Wait a minute! If you read mudmedic's post carefully, you'll notice he asked, "What's the difference between muzzleloader and blackPOWER, not powDer. Maybe this is a trick question! :crackup:

Thanks all.. power was just a type error ( i cant type/dont like to,,, or spell. will have a few more questions tue when she gets home from school and we are working on her report. what really amazes me is she was actually given a report to do on a gun with everthing being so PC now days. by the way great site also very interesting.

david

To mudmedic from a mudMarine, just remember we didn't become the greatest Nation on Earth and twice the saviors of the free World(yes that includes the french, both times :()by being political correct :no: :no: :no:

Hope you and your daughter stick around after her assignment :peace:

. . . just remember we didn't become the greatest Nation on Earth and twice the saviors of the free World.

Just remember we came in late in both of those "contests" and had a fresh bench while England and France had already been ground down.

And Pershing's first words on landing in France were to thank them (and remember Lafayette) for pulling out fat out of the fire in our Revolution.

Ask a Russian who won WWII, for another opinion. ::

We didn't win the wars, we just made them shorter. The only way to win a war is to avoid one.

One interesting thing Mudmedic the very first gun was a muzzleloader!

And we have people on this forum who still make them as well as shoot them!

Here's a handgonne as they're called a friend of mine made!

HandGonne.jpg

YMH&OS, :redthumb:
Chuck

David, after your daughter is done with her homework you should take her to a real black powder shoot at a range near by. May be someone would let her have a try if she's old enough. It's a lot of fun. Lots of smoke and thunder. Besides, we need more women gettin interested in shootin anyway.

It's an interesting subject. Good luck.

I,as much as any man pray for no more war :cry: Lafayette sided with the Colonials not to free us, but to help defete England. We were late into WW1 & WW11 because we are a nation of liberators not conquerors. Not to intrested in the Russians spin on history :peace:

I think you should hook up your daughter with some reenactors or shooters who can demonstrate how these ancient firearms work. She'll get a thrill out of it. If she brings a camera, she can even do a Power-point photo essay. :crackup:

Good luck to your daughter on her report. If she has any questions, ASK us. We're happy to help the young 'uns. :thumbsup:

next when was the muzzleloader invented??? will be back with some other questions.

thanks

david

I made you a hyper-link to our "pre-flintlock links section, if you scrool down to the middle of it you will see "Historic Reference", much of the early muzzleloading history can be found there...

***Click Here***

Lafayette sided with the Colonials not to free us, but to help defete England. We were late into WW1 & WW11 because we are a nation of liberators not conquerors. Not to intrested in the Russians spin on history

The Continental Congress wasn't too concerned with LaFayette's motives. The fact of the matter is that French support helped to establish the United States, and regardless of current attitudes it is a fact for which we should be grateful. Regardless of the reason for French aid the truth is it did free us. Obviously no nation goes to war for entirely altruistic reasons.

You seem to forget that we did not go to war with the Axis powers to free the world; we did so because they declared war on America and launched the first strike.

And as far as the Russian effort in World War II, They turned out to be as bad a regime as the one they and we fought, but the Russian government's, i.e. Stalin's, atrocities don't change the fact that the Russian people suffered more harshly and sacrificed more in the war than any other nation. And you cannot dispute or change the fact that the war would not have been won so readily had it not been for the Red Army.

Stalin was a tyrant, and an a**hole; he even actively supported Hitler in the invasion of Poland, and probably would not have supported the Allied cause if not for Operation Barbarosa. All of that however does not change the fact that the Russians did more than any other American ally to insure the fall of the Third Reich.

You cannot change the facts by simply choosing to ignore them.

As for Black Powder, in simplest terms it is gunpowder as it was originally invented with only slight modification to the manufacturing process and equipment today's BP is still produced as the first batch was. It is composed of Saltpeter(potassium nitrate), charcoal(carbon), and sulfur. Originally the proportions of these ingredints probably varied considerably, and BP was produced as serentine powder in which the ingredients tended to separate over time. Later powder was corned, this was a process by which the ingredients were mixed with water in a slurry. The mixture was then poured into molds and the water evaporated forming bricks of BP which were then ground to the desired granulation. This procedure is still pretty much what is followed today.

A good description of making black powder and also flintlocks can be found in Foxfire 5. This is a series of books written to record traditional crafts etc. Foxfire books are usually at your library. It seems like Foxfire 5 is always the one missing. The general reading links in the forum, listed near the top of the Mainindex under Muzzleloading Links also has sites with lots of good information.
Not complaining, but in this PC age it seems odd you daughter got this as a homework assignment. Good Luck. :redthumb:

Not complaining, but in this PC age it seems odd you daughter got this as a homework assignment. Good Luck.

Glad to see at least one teacher took common sence and let this be a homework subject. After all it is history .

Woody

When your daugther get her homework done try to fine some muzzleloaders and try to get her involed in the sport. All three of my grils love it. my ten year old has her own 50cal and she loves it.She bugs me all the time to take her to the range to shoot. It better then some of the things kids get involved in.Good luck on the homework. your get alot of good info here read up on what these guys give you and be ready to fill the pages of the report.

Latest posts

Back