• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

need LYMANS advice (HELP)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullmoose

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My new pecussion Lymans is not letting the hammer "fall" all the way to the nipple. So not a pop cap! How do you adjust it?

Are you sure the hammer is not falling all the way down?
Check to see if the lock plate screw is not protruding into the hammer.
OR
Take a peice of thin cardboard and place it on the nipple then fire the hammer. If you get a hole cut or the impression of the hammer and nipple you are ok.
OR
Next check to see if the nipple is to large diameter, it may need snaded down a tad to allow the cap to seat properly.

BPB

I suppose it depends on what exactly the problem is. One cheap scate solution would be to shim the nipple out a bit by putting a small washer under it thereby raising the nipple to the hammer. Or you could remove the lock form the rifle and check to see what is fowling the throw of the mechanism, could be just a bit of wood needs shaving off inside. Could be some steel needs filing off to enable full rotation. If i was to guess i would go for the stock needing trimming back a bit. But you would need to see it and play with it to see whats going on. Often candle soot to coat up the lock and replace it in the mortice and working the lock would give a good first impression.
Anyway its something to do on boxing day to work off xmas food.
Good luck
Dobson

Remove the lock and check to see if you get full hammer drop while its out of the stock. If not, there may be an issue with the fly not keeping the sear out of the half-cock postion as the hammer falls.

If its ok, reinstall and check the lock's function periodically as you tighten the lock bolt. The bolt should be snug, but not gorilla tight. If its too tight, the lock bolt may be protruding through and rubbing on the inside of the hammer as indicated by BPB's post. You can always shorten the bolt a bit by carefully filing it if you need too.

Never owned a Lymans.But if it has set triggers it has a fly in the lock. It keeps the sear from going in to the half-cock notch. My TC did that and it was the fly. Log Cabin fix it by bendig it a little. Worked ever since.25yrs. Dilly

If you were a little farther South we could send you over to Rabbit03 and he could fix it asap.
You have good advise already. I would first check with the lock out of the gun for function and then as mentioned soot it up and replace it to find where the problem is. Also check your nipple cap fit. One of these should fix the problem.
Fox :hatsoff:

Russian BMM:
If you haven't removed the lock before, it's pretty simple.
Place the lock at the half cock position. Unscrew the lock bolt on the left side about 3 turns.
Lightly tap the screw head with the screw driver handle. A few raps should dislodge the lock from the stock. Back out the screw another few turns and repeat. Then remove the screw and the lock will easily be removed form the stock.

While your looking at the inside of the lock, pull the hammer back to the full cock position.
The piece that is sticking out perpendicular to the lock is the sear release arm.
Holding the hammer with one hand, gently push up on the sear release arm. This will release the hammer.
Slowly let the hammer down and notice if the little end of the sear arm that is on the tumbler goes into a notch in the tumbler with the hammer about half way down. If the sear engages the notch, the fly is either missing or is stuck and that is the source of your problem.
If the fly keeps the sear from engaging the half cock notch, it is working fine and the hammer should fall all the way down to the fired position.

If the hammer does fall like it is supposed to, the problem is probably one envolving something hitting the wood which keeps the parts from moving freely.

Latest posts

Back