• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Recommendations for a Rear Peep/Tang Sight for a RM Hawken & TC Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wseidel

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have two percussion muzzleloaders I am looking to put Rear Peep/Tang Sights on - .54 Rocky Mountain Hawken and .50 Thompson Center Hawken. I have done some research and recommended options appear to include the original TC Peep Sight (7194...though difficult to find); the Lyman 57ml; the Pedersoli Peep Sight; and the Johnson Peep. Please share your thoughts on these options and additional sights I should consider (and why). Also, if you happen to have a rear peep for sale, please PM me with price and condition. Thank you for your time and recommendations...appreciated.

Last edited:
For the Pedersoli, I would go with Pedersoli tang sight.

TC, choice of Lyman or take time to find a TC sight.

Might check with Classic Fire Arms and Parts, or The Single Shot Exchange.

I would like one of those T/C apertures in the worst way for my Renegade, but ....not for that sort of money. One of my winter projects is to engineer a simple peep out of some brass I have. I have a violin post repair tool that actually is shaped quite nicely to help the project along, and for the few dollars it cost will save me quite a bit of labor.

Williams makes a tang peepsight for TC Hawkens. But like the Lyman, might be hard to find one in stock anywhere.

I would like one of those T/C apertures in the worst way for my Renegade, but ....not for that sort of money. One of my winter projects is to engineer a simple peep out of some brass I have. I have a violin post repair tool that actually is shaped quite nicely to help the project along, and for the few dollars it cost will save me quite a bit of labor.

Tom A. Hawk had a nice peep sight he made recently, last week I think. Might do a search for it to see if you like it.
Or send him a PM.

I have a TC #7190 on my TC Renegade, and have seen the #7194 on other TC’s . . . .

BOTH of them are FAR TOO CRUDE for any precise adjustments!

I have the Lyman #57 on my TC Hawken Custom .50 cal., and am very happy with it.

FAR MORE precise . . . .To take full advantage of the double-set trigger, I also installed a Lyman globe front sight.

I have a TC #7190 on my TC Renegade, and have seen the #7194 on other TC’s . . . .

I have the Lyman #57 on my TC Hawken Custom .50 cal., and am very happy with it.

FAR MORE precise . . . .To take full advantage of the double-set trigger, I also installed a Lyman globe front sight.

The Lyman Globe is the way to go I have used TC Contender rear sights in Hawkens and Renegades.

For a top of the line rear sight try to find a TC Contender rear silohouett sight. It has the numbered target knobs.

Yep. They’re solid as a rock once you FINALLY get them adjusted but the TC sights are as crude as if Fred Flintstone’s dinosaurs hacked them out with a rock-axe in his workshop.

I did check out Class Firearms and Parts as well as The Single Shot Exchange. Fun sites to visit....thanks for the suggestion, FishDFly. I'm sensing that my options are whittled down to the Pedersoli Rear Tang Sight (422), Thompson Center Peep Sight (7194), Lyman 57 sml, and Williams Peep OR consider making my own. If anyone has additional suggestions or potentially one that is for sale, please PM me. Thank you.

Thank you, Rod Man. I did see that on Ebay but 200 is much more than I would be willing to pay. I appreciate your help.

i have a lyman 57 that these poor old eyes found that peep doesn't work anymore. had this on my tc hawken 50 and removed it and if you want this i can get it to you free no charge for anything. i'm running out of room and have to slam the safe door closed.
lyman on a hawken.jpg

Update: A shout-out to Bore_Butter for his gift and generosity! He mailed the Lyman 57 this morning. He wanted nothing in return...not even postage. I offered to send him some Chaga Mushroom Tincture which I sell across the country....nope, he's good :)

I received a PM about a possible original TC tang sight and also received notice of a Pedersoli ghost ring sight. Since this would be going on the Rocky Mountain Hawken, am I to assume correctly that the Pedersoli would be the preferred option? Thanks again for any recommendations or advice....so appreciated.

Latest posts

Back