• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need some ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNflintlock

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have never built a muzzleloader but have been shooting blackpowder for about 12 years and have assembled/disassembled a TC Hawken many times. I do have some experience restocking a couple bolt guns. I am now looking at building a muzzleloader. I am wanting a flintlock that is somewhat historically acurate for the late 1700's. What would anyone that has done this suggest? I know that a quality gun will not be cheap. Thanks.

Probably do just fine with either one of these two kits,
[url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com...s/partList.aspx?catID=13&subID=77&styleID=275[/url]
[url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com...tList.aspx?catID=13&subID=77&styleID=296[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
TN,

Do yourself a favor, and start with the best "kit" money can buy.

Like everything else.... you get what you pay for.

Depending on what type of gun, you're looking for, there are many styles and areas that made guns in that era.

Stay with a something with a straight buttstock. It will be the most forgiving in getting proper architecture.

Chambers Early Lancaster or Isaac Haines or York are perfect examples.

You will be getting the best inletting, best barrel, and absolutely the production lock made.

As Dane says, get the best if you can, here is the link to Chambers:
[url] http://www.flintlocks.com[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't say if you're interested in a kit or you're gonna go for the "Full Monty" and start from a blank.

Or you can drive 20 miles up I-65 to Cross Plains and visit Tip Curtis Frontier Shop. He has everything you want and can make you a stock from over 40 patterns. You can even pick out the wood before he cuts the pattern. His price will be in line with TOTW and he has all the same stuff they have. Tip will do you right. He also has about 20 or so already assembled guns "in the white" available for a really attractive price. Call him before you go as he doesn't keep regular store hours. (615) 654-4445

Tip's shop is good advice.

He has many guns there that you can handle and determine which one suits you best.

He has built enough of em that he can offer a lot of good advice. Some rifles are easier to build than others.

Any time you spend with him, is time well spent.

Do a lot of research first before you even begin to think about ordering parts. Next, I would suggest you start with a very basic rifle. Lot's of rifles, probably most of them, from this period were plain working man's guns and didn't have all the nicities that we labor on so much today. Concentrate on getting a good fit of wood to metal, and decent architecture. Leave the really fancy wood alone for awhile and get a good blank with excellent grain flow through the wrist. This will be easier to work with than the fancy stuff and a lot less expensive. If you want something more complete, look at Jim Chambers kits.

Thanks for the ideas. I had heard of and seen Chamber's site but was wondering if there were any other places to order a fairly traditional flintlock kit of good quality.

Both TVM and Pecatonica put out rifle kits. I don't think you will find pictures of the pecatonica guns, because those are generally custom ordered, and he builds and charges for whatever the customer wants his shop to do. He supplies the stocks for Track of the Wolf, and you have been given that site.

Yer only about 25 miles from Tip Curtis place in Cross Plains. He doesn't have a website, but his number is 615-654-4445, and his email is [email protected] He has kits, in the white guns, and any part you will need. If you go, plan on spending a couple of hours there, and bring cash, he dosen't take plastic. You really need to make the trip, before you make a decision. He has so many choices for you to choose from yer heads gonna swim. You can also handle a bunch of finished guns to get a better idea of what you might want. Also bring a towel for the drool. :rotf:

Bill

Custer wore arrow shirts!

Latest posts

Back