• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

need some opinions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottprice

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I currently shoot 90 grains of GOEX 3F, a dry Ox-Yolk .010 cotton patch and a .490 speer roundball. I can get 1.5" groups at 50 yards...

first off, what do you think of that setup?

second, would using lubed patch instead of a dry one increase accuracy? i was thinking about getting some mink oil from TOW...how is that stuff?

i toss them in my mouth for a few seconds but i figured they just dry out once in the barrel. I know for sure that they dry out while they are sitting in my speedloads because they are sometimes loaded with charge, patch and ball for over a year in my hunting pouch until i shoot them

thats why i was looking to try something like the mink oil since its a grease and wont dry out over time.

To me a .010 patch is scary but it seems to be working for you....I would try .015 patches to see if there is an accuracy difference a long with the mink oil.

I`d be happy with the groups your getting cause my eyes are`nt good enough to shoot iron sights better than that anyway. Your groups should be good enough to hit what your shooting at unless your a competitive target shooter or something.
90grns is more powder than my .50cal likes but each rifle is different.

First of all, a 1.5" group is fine at 50 yards. I spit patch when target shooting as well. You don't want a dry patch and especially with the thin .010 patch you're using. They probably look like confetti after you shoot them dry. You're right, for hunting you want a tallow lubricant like Track's mink oil. It won't harden up in freezing temps.

thanks for the response trench....i think ill stick to the spit patch while shooting target and get some mink oil for hunting

ahhh..you talkin huntin load,,yes definitely lube,,, now what kind works best for your gun...trial an error,i use beargrease/deertallow mix.....an it works,,for me..but others use a variety of lubes. try what ya can get,,,see how it works in yours..

I'm also thinking the 10 thousands patch is a little on the thin side. I'd recommend you try some 15 or 18 thousands patches and use the tickest that you can push down the barrel. Some here post much thicker patches than I have been able to get in my barrels of the same make?? So there is a difference in barrels by the same maker. While not loved by all, wonder lube/bore butter has worked well for me.

scottprice said:
thanks for the response trench....i think ill stick to the spit patch while shooting target and get some mink oil for hunting
Be aware those two different patch/lube approaches could result in different POIs...it would probably be wise to check zero when you introduce the lubed patch for hunting to be sure

roundball said:
scottprice said:
Be aware those two different patch/lube approaches could result in different POIs...it would probably be wise to check zero when you introduce the lubed patch for hunting to be sure

That could definitely be the case. My personal experience with Wonder Lube, TC Natural Lube, E. Maine Products lube (all basically the same wonder-lube concoction) is that, in my .36 and .54, they shoot to the same point of impact at 50 yards with pillow ticking patches whether lubed with spit or wonder lube.

I use a mixture of beewax and lard since the sale sperm whale oil was outlawed. ( I know this tells my age ). But a few years ago just for fun I ran five shot groups using all of the oil/ lubes I had around the shop and house. And I found no noticeable difference between them. I tested corn oil, peanut oil, soy bean oil, castor oil, crisco, pure lard, olive oil, synthetic sperm whale oil, and the real stuff. ( I have a few ounces left from the early 60's)It is my personal opinion that it isn't which lube you use but how much. Many people use too much and don't like the results of what they use so they try something else until they get one they like. :idunno: :idunno:

Rat Trapper said:
I'm also thinking the 10 thousands patch is a little on the thin side. I'd recommend you try some 15 or 18 thousands patches and use the thickest that you can push down the barrel. Some here post much thicker patches than I have been able to get in my barrels of the same make?? So there is a difference in barrels by the same maker. While not loved by all, wonder lube/bore butter has worked well for me.
If it works well for you then there's no reason to switch, in fact for new shooters I think it's best to start with pre-cut, Wonder lubed patches so they can concentrate on finding the best powder charge.

It doesn't matter what any of us think about your " set=up". What matters is how your patches survive the trip out the barrel.

What do your spent patches look like?

Do you clean the bore between shots, and if not, how many shots do you get from your barrel before you begin to get fliers?

What is the actual bore diameter?

Don't let the guys talk you out of your .010 patches IF they work and are accurate.The woolwad saves the patch from the fire and pressure of the powder.I used a .010 patch for my 40cal and it loaded so easily it was scary it was accurate too.I'm now using .015 and it increased velocity some, POI changed a little but not enough to cause real problems,I think a powder amount change will fix it when I get around to it

Back