• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cruiser, my daughter sent me her dog in a cage from Colorado. Don’t see why you can’t send a squirrel.

When I took my state taxidermy exam many years ago, I needed a squirrel to mount and didn’t want any holes in it. My dad caught one in a live trap, put it in a garbage bag and closed the bag over his exhaust pipe of his car. Thirty seconds is all it takes.

Fred, I had my knife with me this morning but no luck. Saw two, no shots. Yesterday saw one, no shot. Im making the drive to my honey hole tomorrow hopefully will bloody it then. Thanks again!!
You are welcome.
Glad you're making to your honey hole.
Hopefully you'll get ya some. I'm hoping to get a couple tomorrow.

Take Care Jim
Be safe

Fred, I had my knife with me this morning but no luck. Saw two, no shots. Yesterday saw one, no shot. Im making the drive to my honey hole tomorrow hopefully will bloody it then. Thanks again!!
I have to admit that its very tough right now in the squirrel woods. Now I don't know about you all, but for here, the secondary canopy makes things very difficult. I walked away from several squirrels up in the tops of hickory trees. It became clear that it wasn't going to happen. I actually had one squirrel directly above me in a tree not more than 20 feet away. As I continue to learn this ultimate sport, I have come to the conclusion that straight up shots are not conducive, at least for this ole boy.

Can hardly wait for squirrel stupid season.

With that said, my plans are to go back out in the morning. While scouting for a place to bow hunt, I ran across a few nice places to squirrel hunt, complete with den trees and drays.

I have to admit that its very tough right now in the squirrel woods. Now I don't know about you all, but for here, the secondary canopy makes things very difficult. I walked away from several squirrels up in the tops of hickory trees. It became clear that it wasn't going to happen. I actually had one squirrel directly above me in a tree not more than 20 feet away. As I continue to learn this ultimate sport, I have come to the conclusion that straight up shots are not conducive, at least for this ole boy.

Can hardly wait for squirrel stupid season.
My squirrel stupid should start soon.
Last year I had to wait until October 14th and 2 to 3 weeks before that they were all over. They jump up in the tree about 8 to 10 foot and look around or eat a nut and not run off at first glance. I'm waiting for it. I'm going to try the west side of my little hunting area tomorrow I've stayed out of it all year.

Would be bigger if you hadn't shot most of his head off! 😀 Not very big . I think it's a southern thing. The ones I've seen around my daughters place in SC are pretty small.

Maybe like deer. The farther north the bigger the deer.
I know, I know, I really should aim for some place other than their tails.

Must be a southern thing.

Then again, it might help if I laid off of the Jim Beam before I go squirrel hunting. J/K. :)

Last edited:
Cruiser, my daughter sent me her dog in a cage from Colorado. Don’t see why you can’t send a squirrel.

When I took my state taxidermy exam many years ago, I needed a squirrel to mount and didn’t want any holes in it. My dad caught one in a live trap, put it in a garbage bag and closed the bag over his exhaust pipe of his car. Thirty seconds is all it takes.

creative..

You can toss the trap and all into barrel of water...

My squirrel stupid should start soon.
Last year I had to wait until October 14th and 2 to 3 weeks before that they were all over. They jump up in the tree about 8 to 10 foot and look around or eat a nut and not run off at first glance. I'm waiting for it. I'm going to try the west side of my little hunting area tomorrow I've stayed out of it all year.
Good luck, Fred.

Got a package from TOTW today (late of course). Now I have everything I need to shoot my new to me 36 caliber flinch lock. I was hoping to have photos with a target and full range report. Fred, saw a picture of her and named her Sadie. So Sadie she will be. With any luck I will get her to the range in the next few days now that I have a decent RR, and some flints. I will make a proper introduction then.
She just looked like Sadie crossing the Frontier. Looking forward to the proper introduction my Brother from another Mother.
Always stay on the Feral Side.

This pic is for Fred. He asked me to take a pic of the next squirrel I get next to a dollar bill so he could compare the size of the KY squirrels to a Florida squirrel. I would reckon this one is the average size gray squirrel here.

I hope this helps.

JimK, this one is a female. First female I’ve gotten in a while. I hope you don’t think I’m gay or anything like that.😁
Thanks again Ed.
I know my Florida deer don't get as big as the northern deer. I always felt that the Grays were about the same though. I did compare two of the side by side and one was a good bits bigger. I know one was older than the other. So after I Do shoot a couple tomorrow I'll scale it to the dollar bill.

Hope get some "Tail Shots" tomorrow.

Thanks again Ed.
I know my Florida deer don't get as big as the northern deer. I always felt that the Grays were about the same though. I did compare two of the side by side and one was a good bits bigger. I know one was older than the other. So after I Do shoot a couple tomorrow I'll scale it to the dollar bill.

Hope get some "Tail Shots" tomorrow.
Best of luck to you my friend.

Got a package from TOTW today (late of course). Now I have everything I need to shoot my new to me 36 caliber flinch lock. I was hoping to have photos with a target and full range report. Fred, saw a picture of her and named her Sadie. So Sadie she will be. With any luck I will get her to the range in the next few days now that I have a decent RR, and some flints. I will make a proper introduction then.
That's awesome, Tom. I hope you get it dialed in well.

I have a bad habit of losing things in the woods.
Me too! So far this year I've lost a trekking pole. One time elk hunting I killed a grouse and since it was warm I drew it out and skinned it on the spot. Walked off and left a nice Victorinox. Looked for it the next day and no luck.

That would be one way to do it. My catches are so crazy wild I think they would tear the bag up and make a run for it. 🤣
You can toss the trap and all into barrel of water...
When I was a kid one of my duties was catching the occasional rat invader at my grandparents house. The only trap I had was a live trap and that's how I dealt with them. Very effective 👌

Indeed. When I used fly charter I have flown peoples dogs a few times. Most of them did not like it when we started the descent from higher altitude. Unpressurized airplanes. The dogs would let out loud howls. No doubt it hurt their ears a little. I’ve also flown bees but that was in pressurized airplanes.

Last edited:
Back