• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need suggestions for a gunsmith

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 1981 ASM 1860 Army that belonged to my dad. It has alignment issues. The bore and cylinder do not align correctly on a horizontal plane. The result is a triangular shaped cylinder to forcing cone gap that is .003 to .004 at the top and about .015 at the bottom.

I've messed with it some, putting spacers at the end of the Arbor and playing with depth of inserting the wedge. But nothing I've tried seems to resolve this problem. So in conclusion, I've decided to ship it off to someone who knows what they are doing before I do something that is not fixable. :oops:

Does anyone have a recommendation as to who might be a good smith to fix this? I'm sure there are a few on this forum.

One of two things:
1) Your barrel isn't faced square

2) Your frame is too long. Pull the two dowel pins and shorten it .020", start w .015"

Last edited:
45D/Mike/Goons Gun Works (all the same guy)

“A rose by any other name……”

I have three done by him now.
He’ll fix you up and you won’t believe it’s the same gun. The price is less than a day at the ballpark with the family and you’ll have your gun running perfectly forever.

I should have qualified that. I have a Pietta 1860 that one of the pins was lost and I made a replacement. Mine is press fit. IMG_0427.jpeg

That helps.

I have two original ML Colts each with a broken pin I’d like to replace.

Is there any trick to that or do I just drill out the broken ones?
Mine was lost, no doubt in the clutter in my shop. But the pin shouldn’t have been loose. I am dealing with the cam on the trigger. It’s loose. I have already pressed it back into place once but now it is really loose now. My 1851 has not had either of these problems. I haven’t had experience with a broken pin. Surely someone on here can address that problem.

I have a 1981 ASM 1860 Army that belonged to my dad. It has alignment issues. The bore and cylinder do not align correctly on a horizontal plane. The result is a triangular shaped cylinder to forcing cone gap that is .003 to .004 at the top and about .015 at the bottom.

I've messed with it some, putting spacers at the end of the Arbor and playing with depth of inserting the wedge. But nothing I've tried seems to resolve this problem. So in conclusion, I've decided to ship it off to someone who knows what they are doing before I do something that is not fixable. :oops:

Does anyone have a recommendation as to who might be a good smith to fix this? I'm sure there are a few on this forum.
I’d go with Charlie Hahn for this particular project. http://hahnmachineworks.com/index.html

Back