• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need tips for restoring old black powder guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith T

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a collection of antique black powder pistols. Quite a few of them colts. Dragoons, powderboxes etc. They have various amounts of surface corrosion. Can any of you guys offer up some tips on how I might clean these guns up? I was thinking about soaking the metal parts in oil and doing some cleaning. I am not sure what to scrub them with. I do not want to hurt the finishes. If the oil soak is a good idea, what kind of oil should I use? My baby dragoon has the old stagecoage scene on it. I would prefer not to deface it. Any and all tips would be appreciated. I'm sure some of you guys have done some of this kind of work before.

keith,

You will probably want to consult a gunsmith who is experienced with antique firearms restoration. Usually, removing the finish from an antique is NOT recommended. It's kinda like polishing a 100 year old silver dollar. It only takes away from the collector value. Just my 2 cents. :thumbsup: GW

keith: as grey whiskers has said, removing the original finish on an antique will only devalue it, a good cleaning and oiling is all you need to do. it would also probably depend on how bad the condition is, i am assuming that it is a minor situation, but i still would only clean them. just another opinion, good luck

just oil them clean the bores and oil them. don't do anything to out side. it will only cost you money by lowering the value of the guns.

I would remove the grips, and oil soak them. Never under any circumstances remove any finish on the guns! You can do some internal cleaning of cylinder bores, and the barrel bore.

I would soak them in a 5 quart jug of motor oil, and allow them to drip dry.

I have and old Army gallon can of Rust Preventative Compound. It looks like real dark grease, and have used this over the years for preservation.

Handgun, Rifle, & Shotgun Restoration
6680 Rt 5 & 20, PO Box 471, Bloomfield, NY 14469 ~ Phone: 585-657-6338 ~ Fax: 585-657-7743 ~ Email: [email protected]
About Us ӢContact Us Ӣ Directions Ӣ ShowsӢ Links
©2007 Doug Turnbull Restoration, Inc.

This is the guy who is the authority on the questions you asked. Do not even think of touching those firearms until you call Doug.

I watched the Antique Road Show program last night from San Antonio. Because someone had messed with one gun, it decreased its value $25,000. Your Dragoons, if in good shape, according to that show could be worth as much as $25,000++, but if they have been tinkered with, they could drop to wall hangers of $800 to $1000. Its your call, but if it were me, I'd drop a dime and call Doug before even touching those guns.

Pick up any slick gun magazine, and when they talk about any restorations, they talk about Doug Turnbull.

That fact that you seem to have some potently very valuable firearms, I would not try anything until you made some inquiries. It may be no big deal, but you can't back. Here is another good source that is on the same par as Doug Turnbull.
Al Edge (Old Dominion Arms) Ruither Glen, Va. 804-448-1119
Good luck. :thumbsup:
sniper

Keith, the fact that they are fairly valuable guns I would follow the advise given here. If there is some SURFACE rust, that is, loose rust. you could soak the part in oil and then, VERY LIGHTLY, rub down with 0000 (4 ought) steel wool. That will not remove any finish but will take care of surface rust. If it doesn't come off easily, I would stop and consult with an expert. My two cents worth. Emery

Latest posts

Back