• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need your advise...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juerg

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Need your advise...

Someone has a Hawken Creedmore Match Deluxe (Ardesa Finish) for sale.
Diopter and tunnel front sight.
Cal.451, 7 grooves, 508mm twist, 820mm Barrel length, 4.4kg

Does this model needs conical balls instead of round balls?
Is it only useful for 100m?

I only have the possibility to shoot 50m with round ball.

Please make your statements.

‘zonie, are you around?

Greetings from Switzerland.
Juerg

Hi Juerg! I interpret the 508 mm twist as being the length the bullet/ball will move to make one complete turn (360 degrees). If this is true, the 508mm equals 20.193 inches. This tells me it is designed to shoot elongated bullets 25mm or more long.
My .400 cal. Schuetzen uses bullets like this but will not shoot round balls well at all. The problem is a round ball has very little surface area holding the patch into the rifleing grooves. If the twist is too fast or quick the patch will tear at the point of contact during firing. The torn patch will cause the ball to have large inaccuracies at the target.

Shooters who use round balls want a twist between 1 turn in 48 inches to 1 turn in 60+ inches (1 turn per 1,908+mm to 1 turn per 2,385mm).
You have already said you want to shoot balls, so I would not recommend this gun for you.

Have you considered ordering a black powder gun from the USA? Dixie Gun Works exports them if it is not aginst your countries laws.

@zonie
Hi Jim
Thank you for your advise. I’m a newcomer in this field. It is very interesting to read your comments.
Your idea is good to buy a gun directly in the US. How long will it probably take to get it in to Europe? Usually Switzerland has good a good relationship with the US.
I’ll get in contact with www.dixiegunworks.com. I’m wondering what they are going to propose.

You know in general what I am looking for. Could you tell me your opinion what kind of brand and version would be good for me?
Please let me know.
Greetings from Switzerland.
Juerg

My inquiry to dixigunworks:

Hi dixigunworks
A friend of my in the US, he told me to ask your company if you would sell a new replica-muzzleloader to Switzerland. If you are interested in.
I’m looking for a ca. 45 rifle percussion like Pedersoli, Hawken or similar... (not cal.451)
50m range with diopter and tunnel front side. I want to shoot only round balls.
What can you recommend me.
I also I need certain items like percussion caps, adjustable powder measure, projectiles, patch material, short starter, lubricant, ramrod, cleaning jag, solvent and gun oil, powder horn or flask, patch knife, nipple pick, holster or leather gun case, nipple wrench, loading block, speed loaders, possibles bag, bullet bag, patch worm, cleaning rod and bullet casting equipment or just a pre-packaged starter kit. Of course I chose Swisspowder No.2.
What could you propose to me? How long will it take to Switzerland?
Please let me know.
Greetings
Juerg Krapf
CH-6343 Rotkreuz

Juerg: As you probably know by now I sent a private message with one suggestion.
Another would be the "Lyman Great Plains Hunter" which is available in .50 or .54 cal. I'm sure you have read a number of posts on this forum about it.

It has a "open" V notch rear sight and blade front sight which at 50 meters will work great.
If you insist on a Diopter type rear sight Lyman offers a "peep" style(it doesn't have a big metal disk around the aperture) micrometer adjustable rear sight and a Lyman Target front sight sight for the .350 wide dovetail on the GPR.

@zonie
It looks that they wouldn’t send a gun overseas. Anyway I let you know what I’ll going to buy here in Europe.

Answer from dixigunworks:
Dear Sir:
I am sorry but we cannot ship guns to Switzerland.
DGW

Juerg: Sorry for getting your hopes up. Dixie does have an area entitled "ATTENTION FOREIGN CUSTOMERS" and 8 lines of instructions.
Perhaps their idea of a Foreign customer is someone in Canada, or these instructions may be a carry over from their older catalog.
As you know, import/export laws vary from country to country and often change from year to year.
Again, my apology.
frown.gif

Good luck in your search.

Juerg: It was pointed out to me, quite correctly that the Lyman Great Plains HUNTER has the fast twist. This being the case, if you find a GP HUNTER, you don't want it.
What you would want is the LYMAN GREAT PLAINS RIFLE which has the slow round ball twist.

Juerg:
The LYMAN GREAT PLAINS RIFLE has a 1 in 60 inch twist (1 in 152.4 centimeters)

Back