• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Your Opinion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimrod

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a TC Hawkens in 50 cal 1/48 twist I have a chanse to get another new in the box TC Hawkens in 54 cal. in 1/48 {I guess dont know:-( } both with 28" in barrels. {always the option of a Green mountin 32" 1/70 twist drop in in 54 } Now I can get a GPH in 54 1/60 with a 32" barrel for $15.00 cheaper no biggie. I want to shoot prb so I was leaning towards the GPH will I be getting more velocity out of the 32 compared to the 28" barrel ? And how is the warrenty on the Lyman rifles? How is the workman ship on the Lyman Muzzleloaders ? Lots of questands ::I NEED YOUR HELP is there a cure for this dam white smoke fever ? :yakyak:

I "think" yore confuse'n the Lyman "GPH " (1/32 twist), with the Lyman "GPR " (1/60 twist)!!

I highly reccomend the Lyman GPR fer roundball shoot'n!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

YMHS
rollingb

I own both a T/C Hawken, and a Lyman GPR, both in .54, and they are both fine rifles. The Lyman is a little longer, and has more drop at the comb and a greater angle to the wrist than the T/C as well. I enjoy shooting both, however, I'll admit I'm in the middle of an affair with the Lyman right now mostly because it is a flintlock and the T/C is a caplock. They both shoot better than I can with PRB (I don't shoot conicals). With my two rifles the Lyman loads a bit easier than the T/C, and doesn't foul up nearly as bad as the T/C, but the T/C was given to me used by the gentleman who got me started in this muzzleloader stuff. I didn't own it new, so it could either be a characteristic of that particular barrel, or it could be how it has been treated over the years, who knows.

Bottom line is, both are good guns, you're just gonna have to pick which one you want/like.

I agree with Rollingb... I would go with the Lyman GPR, 1 in 60 twist. Both the T/C and Lyman are built solid, but the Lyman offers the 1 in 60 twist with .010 depth rifling over T/C's 1 in 48 twist with .005 rifling. The drop on the Lyman GPR is 3 1/2 inches as compared to T/C's 2 1/4 inches... Both should have a 14 inch trigger pull... I like the more traditional style of the Lyman sights as compared to T/C's... I also like the 32" Lyman barrel over the 28" T/C barrel.

I would suggest that you shoulder each rifle and see which one feels it has the best fit. The Lyman however should and would make a better roundball rifle then the T/C in my opinion... It has barrel length, twist, depth of rifling, and drop working for it that translates into a better choice for the traditional roundball shooter... :thumbsup:

I have a TC Hawkens in 50 cal 1/48 twist I have a chanse to get another new in the box TC Hawkens in 54 cal. in 1/48 {I guess dont know:-( } both with 28" in barrels. {always the option of a Green mountin 32" 1/70 twist drop in in 54 } Now I can get a GPH in 54 1/60 with a 32" barrel for $15.00 cheaper no biggie. I want to shoot prb so I was leaning towards the GPH will I be getting more velocity out of the 32 compared to the 28" barrel ? And how is the warrenty on the Lyman rifles? How is the workman ship on the Lyman Muzzleloaders ? Lots of questands ::I NEED YOUR HELP is there a cure for this dam white smoke fever ? :yakyak:

IMO, you should not let the only decision point be a 1:60" barrel compared to a 1:48" twist...1:48" twists shoot PRB's extremely well.

My .54cal TC 1:48" twist barrel shoots "holes touching" at 50yds, and that's using full power PRB hunting loads, just sitting in a chair resting my elbow on my chest, not even using sandbags...and I'd dare say 1:48" twists shoot PRB's better than the capabilities of most average shooters.

If you're planning to regularly shoot it in match competition and measure group size with a micrometer, then get a round ball twist...and even at that, when you order a TC Hawken, you can specify they install their 1:66" round ball barrel if you wanted it to remain 100% TC name, or get a GM "drop in" RB barrel for the TC Hawken.

But for general weekend shooting and big game hunting, IMO, you'll never notice the difference using a 1:48" twist...and then however remote the chance might be, you could also use conicals if you had a hunting opportunity where that was required.

:m2c:

With hunting loads the longer barrel will produce more velocity. It may not be much more.

Rat

This is just my opinion but if I had a choice between the GPR and T/C put them side by side on a table and I would pick the GPR on looks alone. They are both excellent rifles from good companies. The GPR just has a better look to me.
Fox :thumbsup:

I have a TC Hawkens in 50 cal 1/48 twist I have a chance to get another new in the box TC Hawkens in 54 cal. in 1/48 {I guess dont know:-( } both with 28" in barrels. {always the option of a Green mountin 32" 1/70 twist drop in in 54 } Now I can get a GPH in 54 1/60 with a 32" barrel for $15.00 cheaper no biggie. I want to shoot prb so I was leaning towards the GPH will I be getting more velocity out of the 32 compared to the 28" barrel ? And how is the warrenty on the Lyman rifles? How is the workman ship on the Lyman Muzzleloaders ? Lots of questands I NEED YOUR HELP is there a cure for this dam white smoke fever ?

We need to clarify which Lyman we are discussing. Great Plains Hunter of Great Plains Rifle are different. Make sure.

You are aware that the Hawken in .50 and the .54 are different thicknesses across the flats? The barrels likely will not be interchangeable.

I have several T/Cs and one Lyman GPR (and one Deer Stalker). I would go with the GPR for accuracy and looks, but the T/Cs have the best warranty of anything made. You must decide which is most important to you.

CS

i have a lyman trade and the gun is great workmanship i love it, i would get the GPR. :peace:

Latest posts

Back