• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need your perspective

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will the GPH with a fast twist accurately shoot roundball? I know heavy conicals will work, but no bueno in the "Condor Range".

I opted to move...

Be Wild Willy said:
Will the GPH with a fast twist accurately shoot roundball?

With a good, tight combo of ball and patch, they'll surprise you. Most combos will easily do 60 grains, but with a tight one I've had really good accuracy all the way up to 80 grains of 2f in my 54 cal.

roundball said:
The only real practical choice is option A of course.

If you ever get a another rifle, given the lead ban on your close hunting location, strongly consider a .58cal.
An online metals company happens to make a solid brass ball... .562" x 201 grains...that I range tested this summer...single ragged hole accurate in my .58cal Virginia.
I'll be using it in our deer season in a couple weeks to get first hand field experience.

071912LoadingBlock58calBrassPRBs.jpg

070512BRASSballsforMLTest.jpg
Is the brass lead free? standard brass has lead in it and may still violate the law. Just asking :thumbsup:

Most any "solid" metal product is actually / usually some sort of alloy with a trace(s) of a couple other elements...these solid brass balls are as "lead free" as solid brass balls can be manufactured, with .07% maximum allowable trace of lead.
But I guess you'd have to check with the left coast to see where their head is on splitting that hair, regarding something like modern manufactured solid brass balls.

I gave my son a pedersoli jaeger flintlock with a fast twist barrel. They aren't cheapbut nice.
Nit Wit

Lead the charge and change the law! Absolutely no evidence of lead poisoning or contamination was presented when getting this law enacted so gather together and present the truth about lead projectiles to your elected officials.

roundball said:
Most any "solid" metal product is actually / usually some sort of alloy with a trace(s) of a couple other elements...these solid brass balls are as "lead free" as solid brass balls can be manufactured, with .07% maximum allowable trace of lead.
But I guess you'd have to check with the left coast to see where their head is on splitting that hair, regarding something like modern manufactured solid brass balls.

knowing those anti-hunting folks im sure .07% is enough to kill all the wildlife in the area. :youcrazy:

Back