• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Needing a Noggin........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macon Due

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all
I am needing a Noggin or plain ole wooden cup or something so I don't burn my lips on my tin cup! Any ideas?
Thanks.........Macon

I've made a few from cottonwood.

Find a solid piece of tight-grained wood (a burl is ideal, though a piece of log works well) and carve out the center. Shape the outside and you're done. I oil mine with vegetable oil using a little heat to get penetration.

You can purchase them from vendors, but what's the fun in that....

Wow, that CC offering is amazing for the money. Guess it surely must be from off shore as there's a lot of hours work to hand carve one like that. I'm wondering if it's a hardwood and how it stands up over time.

tryinhard said:
Got any pics?
I would be happy to send pictures. Just PM me your e-mail address.

I've seen noggins similar (or identical) to the CC ones. A little on the small side for my tastes.....
Albert

Blackhand
I sorta thought the same.I like the looks of the C.C. one but wondered if it wasn't a bit small? I'd sorta like to have one that would hold a 'cup' of coffee........
Macon

On the size, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I always figured the origin of noggins was with the voyageurs who just used them to quickly grab a drink of water while paddling, which would mean smaller rather than bigger.

Or am I wrong and they were used also, or primarily, for a cup of tea?

Well Sir........you could be right. I may be looking for a 'wooden cup' then?
Macon

Before you find your nogin why not use duck tape, a small strip around the rim will protect you from burning your lip.worked for me through out my army service,just a thought.
(Pete)

from reading I've done over the years noggins ran the gamet in sizes depending on the intended use. I guess the term noggin has become a catch all phrase to cover most wooden cup like accutraments.Most of the originals I've actually seen were hand carved from a burl like wood n I'm guessing that it was because burlhas less of a tendency to split after it dries, its also tuff as nails with all the cross grain going on. They used them for all sorts of stuff from a personal drinking vessel to bailing out the canoe. Hit the woods or even a good lumber yard n get yerself a chunk of wood n git ta carven, its hard to do but most satisfing when ya take yer first sip from it. For hot liquids like coffee or tea I've taken to packing along a ceramic cup(no handle)n wrapping it in some sheep skin to protect it. Been carrying the same one for years so if yer thinking ceramic is fradgile it really isn't if ya take a few precautions. That ceramic is sweet on a cold morning holding the hot drink n wrapping my fingers around it. Just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

Kind of a noggin, I guess....a kuksa made this past weekend from a birch burl.
Kuksa.jpg

Pete

Nice looking Pete.
I have bid on [been out bid both times] on a couple on Fle Bey...so I'm going to have the convicts at work make me one.
Macon

I oil mine with vegetable oil

I have been using the same one for almost 30 years. Don't know what kind of wood it is, looks like cherry. :idunno:
It has no oil or other finish. Has at times but now is nekkid and is best that way. With any oil or finish inside the finish will come loose and float when trying to drink hot liquids or alkyhol. Bare wood works just fine. I have a neat copper cup in camp and am familiar with the burnt lip thing. Handle is leather wrapped so I can pick it up. I do the suffering but because the cup was a gift from my wife and I don't want to ignore it.

Back