• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Needing a Noggin........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i ve used cc cups. they split and crack on a regular basis. now i m lookin for a real one made out of a wood burl

Macon,
Check the wood product aisles in Your Local Goodwill. I have found quite a few rustic wood cups that I have altered for camp use. The best ones are from the Phillipines, as I find them to be made of dense wood that does not split when hot or cold liquids are poured into them. They are better than some of the Chinese manure being peddled by so called dealers..None mentioned, but many implied...

Pete
Thank you,I had not thought of that. I did have the convicts at work to make me one from 'Burl Oak' recently. It has a tiny worm hole thru the bottom but I will epoxie that closed and see how it works.
Macon

Macon Due said:
Pete
Thank you,I had not thought of that. I did have the convicts at work to make me one from 'Burl Oak' recently. It has a tiny worm hole thru the bottom but I will epoxie that closed and see how it works.
Macon
any burl will work well foy you. I have a noggin I made from a ceder root that's still holding up well. but that's because I left the sides too thick. currently im looking for a suitable hardwood durl to make a new one.

I was reorganizing my Photobucket albums and some links were broken in the process. Here is that kuksa to which my earlier post refers:
Kuksa.jpg

I'm currently making a noggin for myself. I'm using an ash burl that I found in my wood pile while splitting next year's firewood. So far I've used my axe to rough out the shape, a small chisel to clean out the rotted section of the burl, a good pocket knife, my crooked knife and a Dremel tool. Honestly, I'm not the handiest guy out there and if I can make one, you can too. I'd really encourage you to find a burl somewhere (i.e. wood pile, ask a friend who burns wood, etc.) and go to it.

As for "finishing" it, when I'm done I'll be giving it a coat or two of olive oil. I use olive oil on my wooden bowl and spoons and it works very well without imparting any odd taste to things. And, for me, it's period correct for the time period of the F&I war.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Ditto. :hatsoff:
I used a dremmel to great effect on my noggin, but I started with a bic and a spoon. burn aND SCRAPE, BURN AND SCRAPE, BURN AND SCRAPE.

I've been making noggins for awhile. I work with hand tools, starting with a green log and axe, using a shave horse, gouges, straight and crooked knives. I'd be happy to share techniques. Check out examples at http://treen.wikispaces.com/

I use mineral oil for the finish--no taste, doesn't go rancid, prevents cracking.

Krandall - It's funny that you mention the mineral oil. I've used olive oil for years without any problems but just the other day I was told the mineral oil was better. Apparently wood treated with olive oil can harbor bacteria if it isn't cleaned properly. While I've never had a problem, I did use mineral oil on a new serving spoon I just made for my Mom. No use in creating problems if you don't need to.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Depending on how HC you are you can use a coconut shell for a cup. Sailors had them and folks near the coast had access to them. I have seen coconut with pewter insets at the rim.

Many Klatch

Thanks! That's a fine piece of wood you have there, too.

The sharing part is a willingness to converse with anyone who wants help thinking through making noggins with hand tools, or with green wood. I used to set up carving demonstrations at rendezvous and figure I've made about 70 noggins.

The mineral oil comes on the recommendation of a southern Indiana bowl carver I know. He taught me how to oil up a green bowl right after carving, to take the place of the wood's moisture and prevent cracking. You add more as it is absorbed, checking each day, and after two weeks or so there's a balance reached and you can tell the piece has enough.

Watch out--this guy's first name is Karen!

krandall50 said:
Thanks! That's a fine piece of wood you have there, too.

The sharing part is a willingness to converse with anyone who wants help thinking through making noggins with hand tools, or with green wood. I used to set up carving demonstrations at rendezvous and figure I've made about 70 noggins.

The mineral oil comes on the recommendation of a southern Indiana bowl carver I know. He taught me how to oil up a green bowl right after carving, to take the place of the wood's moisture and prevent cracking. You add more as it is absorbed, checking each day, and after two weeks or so there's a balance reached and you can tell the piece has enough. Then I use a mix of melted beeswax and mineral oil, rubbed in with brown paper from a shopping bag, as a sealant and final polish.

Watch out--this guy's first name is Karen!

The noggin in this link is machine made--up to you as to whether this matters.

Reading the red letters at the top of the page, I'm swapping over to the noggin conversation under Craftsmen.

Back