• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Builder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Grubaugh

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Ed here.
Been watching this forum for a while now, thought it was about time I jumped in here and made myself known. I've been in muzzleloading for a lot of years now. Haven't gotten into buckskinning but I may yet. I've built a few modern rifles and a TC hawken kit but that's about the size of it. Very little flint shooting but I've got the hankering too. I'm in the process of building a .36 caliber now. Iron mounted tennessee, Douglas XX barrel, Jack Garner precarve,L&R Durrs Egg lock. Got the barrel breached, tennons in and the barrel down, ready to inlet the tang. Got two questions for now. first I used a lollypop tang, kinda wish I"d used a flared tang but I'll stick with what I got now. The end of the tang measures about 3/8 in. need to know what size screw to use, oval or flat head. Also should there a second screw closer to the breach. 2nd question, this precarve stock has been slabbed down to about 3/16 in. just forward of the lock, seems pretty thin to me, what about it? Guess that's all for now bent your ears long enough.
Thanks Ed

Hi Ed. Welcome to the best Muzzleloader place on the net!!! You may wanna look below as there is a board very heavily used just for building questions.

Hi Ed. You've definitely found the best website for muzzleloading on the web. History, guns, accoutrements, building tips. You name it, we almost got it. O.K., we don't have instructions on making your own blackpowder, but you can get that elsewhere. Still, that minor thing doesn't detract from this most wonderful of blackpowder websites.

Welcome to the best muzzleloading site on the net, hope you enjoy yourself! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

8 X 32 machine screws are what I use. I drill and tap the trigger plate to screw them into, both in the lollypop and up on the tang.
The lower forestock thould have 1/8" of wood on either side of the barrel. and the upper forestock should have 1/16" on either side.

I have built a couple of Tennesse rifles, one with the lollypop tang. I used a flat screw on that one but that's what I had. An oval head would have looked just as good. The second screw further up the tang should be a bolt that goes through the stock and threads into the lockplate.

Both of the Tennessee rifles I have built are very slim. 3/16" on each side of the barrel does not sound too thin. You should even take a little of that off when finishing up.

Thanks everybody for your warm welcome and your input on this project.

Happy with you guys and this forum. Think I'll hang my hat for awhile.

ED

post some pics of your work in progress. You don't have to wait until it is finished to start showing off! It is nice to see projects in progress.

Actually, I like to see the in progress photos perhaps more than the finished photos.

They give the new builders (and want to be builders) an idea of what is envolved in building a rifle. :)

Back