• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new bullet from Hornady

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenmtnboy

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Hornady has a new 50 cal bore size muzzle loading bullet.
It is supposed to take the place of power belts and their inferior product.
I live here in CO where sabots are illegal. So most folk who don't want to use PRB or cast all lead bullets lean towards power belts.
I don't use them but some of my hunting clients do.
I don't like them for I have found at close range and higher speeds they expand way to quickly there for losing any kind of chance for penetration, Even if it's a rib cage lung shot. I have also found that MOA of deer(accuracy) is hard to achieve. I have found it is do to the cup not consistently coming off at the same time.
I usually try to talk my clients into shooting one of my cast and weighed bullets over their power belts.
Some do with great results some won't. They gotta have a real bullet dammit!
So my question, Have any of you in liners shot this bullet would you recommend it over power belts.
It looks like a great design. Easy to load(25 lbs of pressure) with a good cone base for upset.
I would like nothing better than to turn all my clients in to round ball huckers but until then I want them shooting the most accurate bullet with enhanced thumpabilty.
:thumbsup:

DSCF2981.jpg

DSCF2982.jpg

I was takling to a friend in the midwest last week, and this may be the bullet he was talking about. He didn't use the name, but had an interesting report.

He said that in his inlines the "skirt" blows out with heavy powder charges just like a lead minnie with too heavy a charge, especially with stick or pellet powder. He liked it though for his sidelock and loose powder. (I'm guessing Trip7, since that was his fave last time we shot together.) I asked him about a lubed OP wad and he said "nah" he'd never tried it and didn't feel the need.

It looks like a jacketed bullet :confused:

Does it load without a sabot?

I'm kinda leary of .50 cal bullets that are designed to expand. I like a flat nose with a decent size meplat and a solid base. Doesn't need to expand!

I know what you mean about the power belts though. I've seen and heard everything about them and would not want to rely on them for anything bigger than a deer.

Most of us don't discuss modern so called muzzleloaders in polite company. That goes for jacketed HP target tip heat seeking radar equipped powderpuffs and all their ilk also.

I've had poor luck with many of the "new" bullets. I use only PRBs and T/C maxis. If I'm stand hunting, and the shot can be short or long, I keep two rifles handy, one loaded with a PRB and the other is loaded with a light to medium weight T/C Maxi hunter and lots of juice. We have a lot of open land here, and shots can be out there a ways. Still hunting, walking, standing, walking is in the woods and the shots can be real close. I had a nice six pointer charge past me grouse hunting one time. He almost ran me over. I could have jambed the smooth bore in his ribs and got him with bird shot. For close in, I like the soft lead Maxi. I load 470 gr bullets on top of 100 gr Goex FF. It doesn't seem to mind light brush in the way.

I find, a good way to see what a bullet actually does in the woods, is to hunt a pest. Here, on the U.P., I take all my MLs out with deer or bear loads and hunt red squirels. I get to work more with the rifle in the woods, get more competent with it, see what the bullets can do in the brush and make room for some gray squirrels.

Never heard of those bullets. Im sold on the powerbelts. I use them in my deer creek northwest rifle and it will shoot under 1" 3 shot group @100 yards with 80 grains Pyrodex. Most of the guys that use these in their plastic stock muzzleloaders, over push these and shoot close range and the bullet fails. For some reason these guys think they need 150 grains powder to shoot deer at 30 yards :shocked2:

The lighter powerbelts such as a .45 , 223,225,275,300 perform best with 80 grain charges. The heavier .50cal bullets 338 grain + You can use a little heavier 90-95 grain charge.

I to am from colorado and have to use a conical, like everyone else who hunts this state. Maxiballs- maxihunters dont shot for chit out of the rifle, Hornady great plains do 1" groups @ 50 yards and open up to just under 2" @ 100 but they require the use of a ball starter and that slows me down to long in the field.

225 grain aerotip powerbelt driven by 80 grains Triple 7 "T7 got ditched after last season" @ 80 yards, shot through the shoulder.
Only 4" low @ 150 yards. Also holds a 4" 3 shot group @ 200 yards. Really fun rifle to take out to the range.
Rifle just loves either a powerbelt or a .440 PRB with 60 grains pyro p, .018 pillow picking.

100_3476.jpg

90.jpg

Thanks, but I think I'll stick to my cloth saboted heavy metal spheriodal projectiles (C.S.H.M.S.P.)

Besides, who wants to have to scrub copper fouling out of a 44" long barrel? :rotf: :rotf:

They own the longhunter book these days, and now they come here posting modern weapon kills on the muzzleloading forum!
By the way, The old group from HA will never stop posting crud like this until they are banned. They think it is their right as "muzzleloaders" to speak their mind in the traditional forum whether or not they are welcome or have anything traditional to add. Get used to it since the magazine article.

I'm sure glad Greenmountainboy has been around here for over 800 posts. He might not get too mad.

If he'd been a newcomer I think you folks fun would have run him right off. Bad habit I think, if we want to lure more folks into the traditional ways and tools.

Give it some thought, or give in to the modern trends and tools.

We're hoping that by associating with the right people something good may rub off on them.

As far as "owning the longhunter book" that is a non-issue. I keep my own memories and a little notepad and that's all that matters to me. I pit myself against an animal, not other hunters.

Kentuckywindage maybe ya should of got your Deer Creek in 54 PRBs at 100 yds do really fine it's one of the few rifles I wouldnt part with, barrels made on the old org Douglas(1948-49) rifleing mch by someone that knows his barrels. Small bore and slow twist it wont shot 45 non PRB's real well. Fred :hatsoff:

Yep it might have run him off. Did not run him off last time, even tho the entire thread was about explaining the hows and whys of this issue. You can't insult people that are posting things to cause trouble. He went out of his way to discuss things that he was just told are not acceptable subjects for discussion by about 10 folks in another thread.
Sorry, I had to play that game on another forum for years. Put up with whatever they decided to post in the traditional forum because the moderator was one of them. Not interested in playing anymore. If this person doesn't want people to repeat the same old things over and over again, or if he is offended by the reactions to his posts, then maybe he might either leave or consider stopping the behavior that causes the problems. Leaving is ok! Stop posting about modern plastic bullets is acceptable also. Continuing to do what people keep trying to tell him is not acceptable is not.
Nothing PC about me son. I call em straight up. If you fart in church regularly, no one is supposed to sit by you, and they are not being snobs.

BrownBear said:
I was takling to a friend in the midwest last week, and this may be the bullet he was talking about. He didn't use the name, but had an interesting report.

He said that in his inlines the "skirt" blows out with heavy powder charges just like a lead minnie with too heavy a charge, especially with stick or pellet powder. He liked it though for his sidelock and loose powder. (I'm guessing Trip7, since that was his fave last time we shot together.) I asked him about a lubed OP wad and he said "nah" he'd never tried it and didn't feel the need.

Thanks, Thats interesting that it blows out with heavy charges.
I am a big advicate on keeping your loads down to 100 to 110 grs of powder any way for accuracy reasons.
:thumbsup:

Runner said:
Yep it might have run him off. Did not run him off last time, even tho the entire thread was about explaining the hows and whys of this issue. You can't insult people that are posting things to cause trouble. He went out of his way to discuss things that he was just told are not acceptable subjects for discussion by about 10 folks in another thread.
Sorry, I had to play that game on another forum for years. Put up with whatever they decided to post in the traditional forum because the moderator was one of them. Not interested in playing anymore. If this person doesn't want people to repeat the same old things over and over again, or if he is offended by the reactions to his posts, then maybe he might either leave or consider stopping the behavior that causes the problems. Leaving is ok! Stop posting about modern plastic bullets is acceptable also. Continuing to do what people keep trying to tell him is not acceptable is not.
Nothing PC about me son. I call em straight up. If you fart in church regularly, no one is supposed to sit by you, and they are not being snobs.
What the hell are you talking about :shake:
I have never posted a thred about non PRB before

marmotslayer said:
It looks like a jacketed bullet :confused:

Does it load without a sabot?

I'm kinda leary of .50 cal bullets that are designed to expand. I like a flat nose with a decent size meplat and a solid base. Doesn't need to expand!

I know what you mean about the power belts though. I've seen and heard everything about them and would not want to rely on them for anything bigger than a deer.

They are a bore size non saboted bullet.

BrownBear said:
I'm sure glad Greenmountainboy has been around here for over 800 posts. He might not get too mad.

If he'd been a newcomer I think you folks fun would have run him right off. Bad habit I think, if we want to lure more folks into the traditional ways and tools.

Give it some thought, or give in to the modern trends and tools.

No I'm not even remotely offended.
I would hope people would thoroughly read my post and understand that I only hunt traditional PRB but guide hunters who will not!!! come around to the old ways.
I am only asking for advise from people with first hand knowledge.
This is called muzzle loading Hunting forum. Not traditional muzzle loading hunting only forum.
I as well has many other forum members have read plenty of post dealing with non PRB hunting projectiles on this forum.
No I am not advocating inlines :nono:
But most of you are like a family to me and this is where I come first for information.
I am sure that if I had broken the rules one of our many fine moderators would have put this post on non muzzleloading forum.
This is not about pissing anybody off, I am only looking for a muzleloading projectile that will humanely kill Elk that my one or two modern inline clients will feel comfortable with.
:v

fw said:
Kentuckywindage maybe ya should of got your Deer Creek in 54 PRBs at 100 yds do really fine it's one of the few rifles I wouldnt part with, barrels made on the old org Douglas(1948-49) rifleing mch by someone that knows his barrels. Small bore and slow twist it wont shot 45 non PRB's real well. Fred :hatsoff:

I bought a Lyman Great Plains rifle .54 flintlock almost a month back, Still building it but its one hell of a PRB shooter. My new elk rifle.

I really like the Douglas barrel on the deer creeks, the bores are rough, but 100 passes with 0000 steel wool makes them really smooth. Great shooters.

And because you are a "pure" roundball guy, discussing the needs of your modern customers has what to do with a traditional muzzleloading hunting forum? Why would your traditional family, gathered in the place where they discuss traditional hunting methods want to hear about your modern clients needs, or even about your business at all?
You guys will use any excuse, but this one is amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back