• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new bullet from Hornady

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stumpkiller said:
We're hoping that by associating with the right people something good may rub off on them.

As far as "owning the longhunter book" that is a non-issue. I keep my own memories and a little notepad and that's all that matters to me. I pit myself against an animal, not other hunters.

I agree Stumpkiller, Every body that hunts in my personal camp during muzzleloading season shoots PRB.
I try my dangdest to convert all my return clients, even letting them use my prized 54 cal Leman by TVM.
But some folks feel that if it ain't copper it ain't gonna' kill.
Luckily I don't have to guide every muzzloading season here in CO only every other year.
again I'm not trying to offend anybody just get info.

Kentuckywindage said:
fw said:
Kentuckywindage maybe ya should of got your Deer Creek in 54 PRBs at 100 yds do really fine it's one of the few rifles I wouldnt part with, barrels made on the old org Douglas(1948-49) rifleing mch by someone that knows his barrels. Small bore and slow twist it wont shot 45 non PRB's real well. Fred :hatsoff:

I bought a Lyman Great Plains rifle .54 flintlock almost a month back, Still building it but its one hell of a PRB shooter. My new elk rifle.

I really like the Douglas barrel on the deer creeks, the bores are rough, but 100 passes with 0000 steel wool makes them really smooth. Great shooters.

Hay Kentucky,
I hand lapp all my new barrels with four part NECO lapping compound. Leaves the barrel mirror bright and gets rid of chatter marks during the cutting process.

If I may point out - to no one in particular - the preface to this sub-forum [Muzzleloading Hunting, that is] is "Hunting with a Traditional Muzzleloader". It does not exculde conicals, sabots, lazer-guided heat seeking smart cluster munitions or cat poo on a popsickle stick. If you have stuffed it down the muzzle of a "traditional muzzleloader" and gone hunting with it tell us all about it!

I try to be very open and fair, even though I advocate traditional round balls in traditional side lock muzzleloaders. Only if I get enough complaints (see: "Report Post" button - the little orange one with the yellow "!") or the attacks get personal do I get involved.

We all have and are entitled to our opinions of what is right, ethical and fair. Legal is easy as it is defined by the government. The rest is judgemental.

This is not my forum and I have seen other muzzleloading sites ruined by the adjenda of the moderator. I've said before: conduct yourself as if you are having this discussion in Claude's livingroom with his young daughters present.

If you want the format changed or a more specific sub-forum that can be arrainged with enough interest expressed to the right folks.

Administrator

Loc: San Diego, California
Reg: 02/26/99

01/04/08 10:28 PM - Post#512447

Walks with fire Said:If the need arises to discuss modern state of the art BP technology then it's better done on a site designed for that.

In fact, we insist.

Sorry, I thought this was very plain. Maybe I misunderstood! I thought this guy came to the muzzleloader hunting forum to discuss cutting edge modern bullets! Guess I can't read or powerbelt talk is only okay if they are Hornaday? That discussion is recent and about the exact same issue.

You do have the option not to participate in the discussion.
You also have the option to ignore a member if you do not want to read what they post.

:hatsoff:

HD

Runner said:
Administrator

Loc: San Diego, California
Reg: 02/26/99

01/04/08 10:28 PM - Post#512447

Walks with fire Said:If the need arises to discuss modern state of the art BP technology then it's better done on a site designed for that.

In fact, we insist.

Sorry, I thought this was very plain. Maybe I misunderstood! I thought this guy came to the muzzleloader hunting forum to discuss cutting edge modern bullets! Guess I can't read or powerbelt talk is only okay if they are Hornaday? That discussion is recent and about the exact same issue.

Apparantly it was due to the context.

Friend Administrator also said:

No apology necessary. I was only trying to explain the "attitude" of most members and how, although some more modern items and techniques are not forbidden, they will not be met with as much enthusiasm as they might be on a more "modern muzzleloading" site.

And

The rules that everyone agrees to when joining, makes it very clear about the time period we discuss here.

"The main focus of this site is "Traditional Muzzleloading"; The history of the people, the weapons and battles, up to and including the American Civil War."
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showrules.php[/url]

You are just as guilty of a forum infraction for changing the topic as a poster is for mentioning the "I" word. In case you haven't noticed we try to be friendly and flexible here. If we all became a##holes no one would be happy. I chop "I" threads, but I have to interpret intent and spirit as well as topic.

We can make this round ball only hunting related, but then do we also forbid scopes, adjustable rear sights, coil springs, rubber butt plates, etc? Nope. Forbid color images of game because there were no color films in 1840? There is a lot of flexibility here. If you spot a problem, report it. If you want to apply to be a moderator? Speak with Claude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Much more interesting discussion than the information on a bullet that very few people here care about any way.

Claude, you sure do lead an interesting life.

LOL

So you are going to call me on a forum infraction over following the rules as laid down by the owner a week back?
This post was not a hunter who mentioned that he had used a powerbelt. This posting was and is a deliberate discussion of the cutting edge modern muzzleloading technology. It does not belong. Now you moderators are suggesting that we ignore the rules and ignore the posts about modern stuff because you don't support the rules. Ok, show me the 1865 on back jacketed conical with a hollow base and plastic nose. Those are the forum rules. Me ignoring his deliberate mis-use of this forum may stop me from reading his BS, but it does not protect this forum from modern intrusion. That is supposed to be your job. You moderators need to decide if you support a traditional site or not. If you don't, then quit.

So now wanting a place to discuss traditional muzzleloading without modern intrusions is a mental problem that requires a pill to cure it?

Don't participate in threads you don't like. Simple. Ignore them. Block posters.

It's not your job to judge or enforce forum rules. Report posts you disagree with but we don't need your help bludgeoning members who don't meet your cut.

Who said anything about your mental problems?

Ok, you are the forum moderator. Not a problem. You have shown who and what you are quite plainly here.
What a piece of work. Anyone ever call you Crawdad the way you back water and wiggle thru cracks?

If there was no interest the posts would wither and die on the vine all alone and ignored.

Don't forget crawdads pinch. I guarantee you I am the least invasive and abrasive moderator you'll ever bump against. The fact you are reading this should prove that.

You want to get to name calling we can take it off line in a private topic. This has nothing to do with hunting or projectiles.

Stumpkiller said:
It does not exculde conicals, sabots, lazer-guided heat seeking smart cluster munitions or cat poo on a popsickle stick.

Stumpy,

As a former MLRS Artillery Officer, I am interested in the heat seeking smart cluster munitions. Any details on that would be good. Now, on the other one I hilighted, would dog poo work as well? I am not partial to cats! :rotf:

Runner,

Stumpkiller is not the enemy. You need to back off and give him and Claude some respect. If you feel that strongly that the discussion of a projectile is improper, please contact the management directly and don't start a urinating and name calling contest here.

Claude,

If I am out of line calling Runner out on this, please let me know and I will humbly apologize and edit my post.

The rest of y'all,

Beware the cat poo on a popsicle stick! :blah:

So does that poo get flicked or does it all get tossed in one steamy piece? :rotf:

It never should have been in public to start with. I just left it where you did. We don't agree, and that is ok. You are the moderator, so you win.
Can we discuss all jacketed spirepoint target tip modern rifle bullets, or just this one?

I would rather that the members didn't take it upon themselves to think they know what's best for this Forum. There's a means to contact the Moderators if there's something that requires our attention.

There is a small "Report Post" icon at the bottom of each post -
RepotPost.jpg
Using this method is the proper way to report a post.

Members should not take it upon themselves to reprimand other members. Quite often, the followup posts are much more offensive than what is being complained about.

As I have said before, this site leans toward the traditional, but we do welcome more modern shooters as well (short of inlines). How else will they become exposed to the history and tradition that we hold so dear? Are we not the best Forum of it's kind on the Net? Well, let's share it with those that want to learn.

Making offensive and judgmental posts will not persuade anyone, all it will do is alienate people and give us all a bad name.

Even though this Forum is mostly traditional, we also welcome the more modern shooter, who is not a reenactor, but loves muzzleloading just the same. We need to be able to teach the merits of traditional muzzleloading to those on the fence.

I didn't build this place around my personal likes and dislikes. I want it to be much more than that. I built it to learn. Frankly, there are categories here that don't interest me all that much, but they're not here for me. They're here because it appeared that the community wanted them.

I'm afraid there will always be members who are disappointed that we are not more tradition and those that wish we were more modern.

The problem is knowing where to draw the line. I don't like the fact that the bullet in this thread is used for muzzleloading, but I don't think abusing the people who use them is going to win anyone over.

As for the Moderators: They are just members, who are willing to help. They receive nothing in return and I'm very proud to call them friends. I don't mean to speak for them, but they are very easy going when it comes to policing the Forum and I wouldn't have it any other way. They are not heavy-handed and when things are in question, they seem to lean toward giving the members the benefit of the doubt. The Forum functions smoothly because of the Moderators. If there are any objections as to how this site is run, that falls on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back