• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new class - bag making

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Pratt

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Last month at the Log Cabin Shop, Dean Freund gave an excellent presentation on bags and bag making. By popular demand he will be offering a one day class this May. Space is limited and students will need to pre register. For more information please call the store

Making A Simple Rifleman’s Pouch

DATE: Saturday, May 9, 2009

TIME: 9 am to 5 pm

CLASS SIZE: Class size will be limited to 12 participants. pre-registration required.

CLASS DESCRIPTION: The session will begin with a brief introduction illustrating bag design, and sharing information about materials, tools and their suppliers. Class participants will create a plain rifleman’s bag such as one made in a frontier cabin or on an early period farmstead. The rifleman’s bag will be a period correct size, that is, no larger than 6 by 9 inches. It will have a 1 inch hand forged iron buckle and a keeper. We will use alcohol based dyes or stains to create an “aged” or antique look. Your bag will truly be a unique, one of a kind creation made by “your own hand”! (The bag will not be lined or include an interior pocket, welt or gusset.)

COST: $35.00 (includes all materials and
instructor’s fee.)

TOOLS & SUPPLIES: Tools will be available but will require some sharing depending on the size of the class.

PLEASE BRING: Binder Clips - need 12 (1 1/4 inch)(4/box; $0.88/box at Wal Marts)

Hi Ian,

My brother and I were the 1st (and 2nd I guess) to sign up. What tools would we need? I have some I can possibly bring (if I remember) if the class starts building up.

Glad you guys will be making the trip out, I know you will enjoy it. Anybody else thinking about this one, don't hesitate as it is filling already.

Dean mentioned that he will be supplying tools to be shared at the class, if you have some similar to what he likes to use it would be fine to bring them along. Anybody who is signing up for the class, I can put you in touch with Dean if you have any questions, e mail me

Anybody thinking about this one who has not signed up yet, again I suggest you don't hesitate, the class is two thirds filled already

Latest posts

Back