• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Early Virginia by TVM

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longrifle89

32 Cal.
Reaction score
7 months later, the EV arrived at the house. Bear in mind that with these pictures, you've seen as much of it as I have. I still have to wait til July to actually see it.

Anyway, the specs are .54cal 42" swamped barrel, L&R Queen Anne lock, Premium+ maple, and all mounted on brass.

106.jpg

1041.jpg

108.jpg

1101.jpg

111.jpg

107.jpg

I think I was really taken care of with this wood. The whole rifle turned out just like I had envisioned, and I am very pleased.

Now, a question. I hear many people talking about sending their locks to get tuned. How necessary is this?

Very Beautiful rifle :thumbsup: The chambers locks that I use are very dependable, fast an Im happy with them an the same goes for my caywood lock so I have not sent them anywhere to have them tuned. I have never owned a L&R so just shoot it an If your not happy send it for a tune up job Other than that I cant comment on L&R. great looking wood though :thumbsup:

I see you are another person that is in their Right mind! Nice gun :thumbsup:

Congrats! Very nice gun. The best thing is that it will shoot as good or better than it looks! May you have many fine days in the field with it. :thumbsup:

Beautiful rifle. :thumbsup:
If I'm reading your post correctly, you're serving overseas. Thank you for your service! :bow:
Ed

Congrats, shes a real beauty. I am glad to see the lock on the correct side too. I know you are excited and can't wait to hold it and see it make sparks and smoke.

Good looking Rifle. I think I would try the lock. That way you can decide and if you tune it you can see for your self the difference. Larry

No, sir; I'm not overseas. I'm at the Naval Academy, and we typically get about a month of leave due to summer training, and mine's not till July-August.

However, you're more than welcome in advance for when I do go overseas. Thank you for your support.

Yes, the lock is on the correct side. I'm not a true lefty though; I'm right-handed, but shoot left handed and am left eye dominant.

I just realized I have some interesting stats on my nine gun collection--two are flintlocks, three have octagonal barrels, and four are specifically left handed.

Longrifle
We must be 'cousins'...! I'm also right handed but left eye dominate and shoot left handed so my on order TVM is going to be also an "on the correct side lock".
Macon

Small world, right handed , left eye dominant. I am so thankful for left hand lock flinters. I have never shot a right handed one, some say its not a problem. It would probably be for me. the expolsion in the pan is something I still cant completely block out. I know I will be more accurate as soon as I can. Well anyway I love to see Left handed Flintlocks. I wish we had more options.

Guess we need to start our own 'club'."South Sparkers" or something.
I also wish we had more options in locks, I see the 'delux' Chambers ect.plus some of the early styles but ...none for us. :cursing:
Macon

At least there are more lefty locks than when I started out in '82 muzzleloading. I have a Siler and Durs Egg in lefty. I wish the Queen Ann lock was available in left when I was putting my fowler together.
That is a perdy rifle you have there. I'm sure it looks even better in person.

As far as that lock is concerned, I would give it a go and see what you have as the quality can be variable at best. I am not fond of L&R locks but recently had to order one like yours for a gun I am building for someone due to it's style and left hand availability. I had it sent directly from L&R to L C Rice for him to completely go over it as the owner is a shooter. From what I have heard, has to be quite a bit done to that lock to get it to his satisfaction.
That said, you may find nothing at all wrong with the one on your gun.
Good shooting to ya!!!!

Smoothflinter,
The Queen Anne is available in Left hand. Just give L&R a call. We just built a left hand Fowler with this lock.
Slash

Dog gone nice, purty rifle, love the sling swivles, too. I'm lonley with out mine she went to one of the guys in my living history group , the pirate he is smuggled it from me with his now mine, North Star West trade gun nifety smootie , no I got another excuse to build me another, I really love them Virginias , my personea is leading me into a Christian springs rifle

Back