• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New England smoothbore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xia_emperor

40 Cal.
Reaction score
:hmm:
what kind of smoothbores came out of this area? I keep seeing southern fowlers and french one. what anout the English/Newenland one?

Since that is where I grew up and that is where my whole family is from. I would like to shoot something from that area. :)

Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

Thanks! I am not worried about who is best one, but a few link so that I could look at what they have, but I will get the book thanks!

For the most part, Fowlers made in New England have archetecture influenced by french guns. There are exceptions of course.
Exactly where in New England will make quite a difference too.

Here are a couple of links:

Track of the Wolf. It is a club butt New England Fowler:[url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com...Id=12&subId=81&styleId=284&PageSize=10&Page=2[/url]

Here is a doglock New England Fowler from MVT:[url] http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/MNEF.shtml[/url]

A friend of mine has the Doglock New England Fowler from MVT. He is very happy with it.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Brooks has given you the best advise in response to your question that you will ever get!
If you are serious about a New England Fowler,GET THE BOOK (Grinslade's)! And when you do,take a look at the New England Fowler #20 on page 52! When I saw THIS ONE, I started slobbering at the mouth like a mad dog and immediately "went into heat" :grin:. A very good friend,a professional builder is presently building one for me :thumbsup:.

Mike is an excellent builder,so check with him if you are going to have one built! I would use American Black Cherry for the stock since most New England Fowlers appear to have been stocked with Cherry.

:bow: I am sorry I just like to get a good start. so instead of Putting (!!!!!) in you response, just read what I said. I will get the book, but I also wanted to seem some examples now, since the book is going to take time to arrive. :youcrazy:

I think New England guns have been sadly neglected by modern gunmakers and shooters. I have always intended to build one myself, just haven't gotten around to it....

The book is definitely worth its price. And the New England fowler with its French influence is a superb gun. Cherry makes a handsome stock and is appropriate as well. Even a 10 bore can be made light and well balanced. And, if you decide to get into re-enacting, the fowler can be used as a militia piece with a plug bayonet.

" so instead of Putting (!!!!!) in you response, just read what I said."

Often posters will respond before another post shows up,or miss a part of a post, thus it may seem as though your comments have been ignored when this is not the case.You will often get multiple posts offering the same good advise, bad advise usually starts a squabble and an anti PC/HC tirade.

I just bought a MTV New England fowler last weekend at Dixon's shop here in PA. I took it to the range and fired it 25 times with only 1 missfire and all I had to do was pick the touch hole and off she went. This gun I believe is choked and I will be trying shot in it very soon. The cost of the fowler is $595.00 thses guns are made in India. The finnish is not what you would get from a higher priced gun. But I will remedy that this winter.

Roy said:
Mike I gotta see a larger pic of your avatar.
It's just a picture of one of my boys showing off his bad attitude.
47992246143b17bd731511.jpg

Latest posts

Back