• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New & First flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsilver

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm new to muzzle loading.This is my first attempt putting A ML kit together-Admittly one of the cheaper kits a Traditions-It wasn't too bad to put together,getting the barrel tenons right was a pain. :cursing: I used Fiebings mahogany leather dye for the stock and cold blued the barrel a nice grey color.Not too bad for a first attempt I think but that's me ,but I enjoyed it.Pictures aren't the best-butch :grin:
IMG_0325.jpg
IMG_0323.jpg
IMG_0324.jpg

It looks to me like you did a great job! I love the color of your stock.

Too bad your wife is going to kill you when she sees a gun on her fine linen tablecloth. :shocked2: :rotf:

I cut my teeth building the cheap CVA kits back in the late 70's/early 80's. One nice thing about em' is that if you mess up you're not out too much. Looks like you did a pretty good job. Next step is to get a one piece stock and transfer all your hardware over to it. :thumbsup:

Yep youre right RussianB about that but as you know most men DO then THINK.If she had been here I would have done it different :bow: -I was excited to get it finished and photographed-So now I can't wait to blow some smoke :grin: Forgot thanks for the compliment :hatsoff:

Nice rifle.
Looks like a keeper.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I am sure your wife will not mind you showing off her nice tabel cloth and the great china :grin:

Your right of course-I do catch a lot of flack,being a nasty old man-but too old to change and she should know that by now-thanks Butch :v

I like the color of the stock too. You did a good job all around. Bet she's gonna shoot great! Thanks for showing us. :)

Plink and Rusty-Thanks for the kind words-I appreciate it :hatsoff: -Yes I can hardly wait to try her out and see how she shoots--love that white smoke :)

I'd say you did a fine job. Still have my first CVA "Kentucky" persussion I assembled from a kit.

Still shoots good too.

Enjoy

Butch:
That's a mighty fine looking gun. How about some info, cal., model, are you going to use flint or agates?
Very nice job.
snagg

Snagg & 54jnoll-thanks a lot I guess I'll use flint-The flinter is a 50 cal. traditions Kentucky style from the possibles shop in New Mexico-Made In Spain-a cheapo but looks like pretty good materials and went together without too much of a hassel.So I'm happy with it,I'll know when I shoot her :v :hatsoff:

If that rifle is like the traditions kentucky classic i own, Its going to shoot awesome! I used 110 grains with patched roundball and shooting off the 4 wheeler seat i can get groups of 1 1/2" with 1 or 2 flyers out of 5 shots. If you use 80 grains, your patterns will open up to about 2" at 100 yards and 4 1/2" low. Use a felt wad if you shoot 80 grains or less. It helps build up some pressure and the ball wont drop as much. Nice gun tho!im going to be redoing my stock and barrel in the winter.

Kentuckywindage said:
If that rifle is like the traditions kentucky classic i own, Its going to shoot awesome! I used 110 grains with patched roundball and shooting off the 4 wheeler seat i can get groups of 1 1/2" with 1 or 2 flyers out of 5 shots. If you use 80 grains, your patterns will open up to about 2" at 100 yards and 4 1/2" low. Use a felt wad if you shoot 80 grains or less. It helps build up some pressure and the ball wont drop as much. Nice gun tho!im going to be redoing my stock and barrel in the winter.
-----Yes I shot her sat. no problems, well a little getting the flint lined up I started with about 50 grains to see how it did.Yes I thinks it well make a fine little gun,I'm happy with it :grin:

butchesforge said:
Yes I thinks it will make a fine little gun,I'm happy with it
butchesforge,
When all is said and done, if
your happy, that is the only opinion that really
matters.
snake-eyes :bow: :hatsoff: :applause:

Butch, nice job! welcome to the FLA!(flintlockoholics annoymous) and not to start anything but that there tablecloth might make some good patch material???? didja check the thickness?? :rotf: RC

RC-I hear you-I think it's a little too thick-I guess you have more guts then me. :grin: My wifey would use the rest of it for a noose :( Thanks SNAKE-EYES :v

You got me RC :redface: Have you been there done that? :hmm: Or can't find one that will have you :rotf:

Latest posts

Back