• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Flinter Issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdixon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Recently got up and running a Tennessee Mnt. Rifle, .50 cal. Green Mnt. barrel w/ 1:70 twist, L&R Durs Egg lock. Once I got it sighted in, shooting 1.5" groups at 50 yrds with it. (That reminds me - I have a dead Westerner to send in) Very pleased with the accuracy. A couple of issues however that I am looking for answers on.
1. The Durs Egg lock is rough on flints - At least in my opinion it is rough on flints. Getting about 20 - 25 shots out of black English Fueller flints before they are falling apart. Have to re-knap slightly after about 12 - 15 shots. Any suggestions here on extending flint life or is this typical given the lock and flint material I am using.
2. Patches are blown apart. Using a .490 round ball, .015 pillow ticking, soaked in Bore Butter, over 70 or 75 gr. 2F Goex. Like I said accuracy is everything that I could want, but the patches I am finding are usually totally abused, torn-up, holes around the rifling ect. I have done the trick of seating and pulling a patched ball to check for sharp lands in the barrel (it is a new barrel), the patches come out just fine - no holes. Given the accuracy that I am getting, should I be concerned about the condition of these spent patches? If yes, should I go to a wad, hornet nesting, or a thicker patch and smaller ball?

You might try putting a lubed patch or a wad down over the powder before seating the patched ball and see what you recovered patches look like. Also should improve your accuracy if your patches aren't coming apart.

Can't help out on the lock/flint problem,but I think You should go with the Hornets nesting under the PRB.Also try going to a thicker patch .18 compressed if it will load without beating the ball downbore with a hammer.You might try a different patch lube too.The GM bbls. are exceptional for the price.

Check your pillow ticking and make sure it isnt a "blend" fabric. I got some that had a touch of polyesther in it!didnt figure it out till I compared it with some old stuff, you could kinda feel it?? slippery is the only way I can explain it. check your barrell end, is it coned? that might help you?I had a small almost unnoticeable snag on the rifling that would grab the patch and cut it.could have been "runout'?from the boring. Its usually the little things that bug you!!! :front:

A feller' sold me some of that polyester stuff at a rondy a few years back. It was camoflaged inside some of the good stuff in a roll. I didn't find out until I was home, but you know what, it shot pretty good.

Back