• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New flintlock deer hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I found a good to me deal on a Lyman left handed 54 caliber flintlock and brought it home. I have hunted deer with a percussion side lock T C Renegade off and on for a good many years. First with conical and then PRB. Have had a interest in doing the same thing with a rock lock with PRB for the past couple years so that is my goal for the fall deer season here in Illinois. I have the rifle which has a flint in it. Came with a pound of 2F for charging and a pound of 4F for priming. Also included a vent pick (fine wire in a cap that screws into a brass housing and a small brass priming flask. What other equipment do you folks recommend that I purchase for hunting this fall? Guessing flints do not last forever and I will need a way to keep the lock dry in rain and snow. Any suggestions and advise appreciated! Thanks.

Buy the right size flints. English flints are very good.
Need to get a tool that will allow you to resharpen the flint's edge.
A leather cow's knee. That is an oil saturated piece of leather that covers the lock in bad weather. Might be able to make your own.
Flint wallet. Make your own.
Have fun

Didn't see a pan brush in the list. I use mine after every shot to eliminate the shot residue in the pan. Get one with stiff bristles. If they are too long and/or too soft, they won't do the job.

Just go to a big box store to their craft area and find a cheap small paint brush with about 1/4" or 3/8" wide bristles, and remember...stiff not flimsy. Cut off the handle to a few inches long. Viola!

I keep a co2 discharger with a flintlock adapter in the truck, just in case. Aside from the vent pick, see if you can find a very fine wire brush that is sized for the vent too. I have a nice wire one with soft bristles and a loop that goes on a keyring with some other flintlock tools. I found that sometimes the pick did not resolve the problem with whatever is blocking the vent but the little brush does the trick every time. I only wish I could remember where I bought it.

I have both GPR and a Deerstalker in lefthanded flint.

I use the #6ENG Tom Fuller flints from Track of the Wolf, and they last a long time, compared to a shorter flint I used in the past.

When I order the flints, I request thinner flints - they fit the cock jaws better.

Latest posts

Back