• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New guy looking to make flintlock smoke happen near St Clair Missouri.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderSmoke74

32 Cal
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me in the gate. I love black powder muzzleloaders. Im hoping to find a used flintlock rifle for around $300 to $500 near St Louis Missouri and read some forums to see if I can hunt both squirrel and deer with one muzzleloader? Any help is a big help.Feel free to contact me

I live in southwest Missouri and hunt there and at my farm in south-central Missouri. I hunt exclusively with flintlocks and longbows. This weekend is our early doe season and I've got my 62 and 54 rifles ready to go!

If you want a utility flintlock that you can hunt all kinds of critters with, I would recommend a 62 caliber smoothbore (20 gauge). With shot, you could use it for squirrels, rabbits, and turkeys. Put a patched round ball in it and you are good for deer. You would just need to spend time at the range to get the different loads all worked out.

I am a squirrel hunting addict and I put a lot of them in the freezer with Ole Betsy, my 12 gauge smoothbore.
753TC9v.jpeg

Here is Sweet Rachael, my 20 gauge smoothbore turkey gun, and a gobbler I killer with her this past spring.
M6FUvuZ.jpeg

Back