• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New guys 1st question(s).......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cravin Morguns

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just purchased a 1803 Harpers Ferry 54 not long ago. I have 20 shots thru 'er and am really happy with it. (after I figured out to remember to remove ramrod after packin' :shocking:) I am really pleased with fit & finish and it seems much more accurate than I am :hmm:.
Anyways, going back thru old posts I sees someone asked about this rifle and it wasn't given very good reviews. So question is (now remember this is my first sparker) have your opinions changed any? Anything I should bee(I can see that I still have bee bugs on my mind!) aware of? ect? The single trigger is my only complaint so far, alittle hard to pull. Someone did mention the front br band looking thin and cheesy and I would agree with this but over all I am pleased.
Cincerely, Cravin(whos awaitin for your imput)Morguns

There should be no barrel band on a Harpers Ferry Rifle.

You will find that BP shooters are similar to pickup truck owners. We have prefered styles and brands and once we are burned by a brand we seldon give them a second chance!

If yours is reliable, durable and accurate consider yoyrself lucky and enjoy it. It should make you a good all around gun.

If you do a search in the archives on lock tuning you will find information on how to safely reduce that trigger pull. If not, we can help. Ask on the builders section and someone will respond.

:thumbsup:

Moreguns....Long tyme ago I bought a Harpers. It was very bad and a 58 cal..thats how long ago i got it..I completely re-made the lock and cock. Replaced the stock to correct measurements. The butt plate, and trigger guard I also replaced...So, I really did a number on it..But it does shoot great!!!I also had to make new sights... Just recently a friend bought a L&C commemorative and brought it over for eximination. This one is a 54..thats good. All the rest looked pretty good ,nice fit but the trigger guard was as bad as myne was ..but all in all it did look pretty good. I did soften the trigger for him. I am sure you will love yours. They are strong and come apart easy for cleaning.....enjoy...hope this helps...Wulf P,S, a correct trigger guard is in TOW.

Going by memory (always dangerous) I seem to recall the biggest comment was that the asking price was deemed a little high for what they were selling. For that amount of money, the fit and finish wasn't quite up to what many people though it should be. Another complaint is that it is not exactly like the original.

You should know that there are some people here that will debate the size of a screw head if it is a little larger or smaller than the original rifles (just kidding).

I don't own one of them but I would expect it to work just fine. The bottom line is, if you are happy with it, then what more is there?

Go out and poke some more big holes in the target and most importantly, have fun!! :)

I am also starting out and have an 1803 Harpers Ferry and have not fired it yet. So far, I screwed up and tried to put an oiled patch down the barrel and got the ram rod stuck in the worst way. Won't do that again.. So how is one expected to clean the barrel with the rod provided? I guess a range rod is needed.
What is your experience?
What loads are you using?

Howdy Catclaw....I havent used the rod provided,(but did the same thing that you described :eek:) but do use a one piece range rod w/handle to clean with. I have only shot about 20 balls so far and I just love this rifle. It is much more accurate than I am. Was able to hit bowling pins a 50 yds in the first few tries. So far have jus been using 60grains/.018pillow tickin' patch/.530 Hornady. Haven't experimented much yet. Did get some .015 patches to try but haven't yet.
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I am so far.
Make 'er SMOKE Bobby!
Cincerely, Cravin

Catclaw: Get a good range rod and a .54 caliber cleaning jag. That's the best combination to load and to clean with.
Make sure the rod has one of those sliding plastic or brass cones to protect the muzzle and make sure the cone is big enough to use in your .54 bore. :)

Catclaw...It's a little late and maybe you won't get back to checking out your problem....I too have a H.F. 1814 that I remade...that ramrod needs to be turned down a bit because with a patch on the end it is too tight and will get stuck...Zonie has good advice with using a range rod..
Hope this still gets to you...Wulf

Back