• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Hawken Rifle advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeutonicHeathen

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a TC Hawken in 50 caliber. That I absolutely love and take it deer hunting every year and it never failed me yet. I have been looking at a Rocky Mountain Hawken by Pedersoli in the maple stock 54 cal. It is a beautiful gun. I have some money and gift cards saved up and think im going to buy one. Cabelas has them on sale for $999.00 Any reason I souldent pick one up?

Go for it. Bigger is always more fun and Peds are good accurate guns.

I have the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken in .54 calibre with the Maple stock, a great rifle.
On trail walks, 60 grains of GOEX FFg, and 0.010 precut patches, pre-lubed with a 50/50 mix of Ballistol and water works great.

nope never too many.....if you're sure how many you have you don't have enough :rotf:

Haven't shot one, but handled a couple. I gotta say, I really prefer it's balance, compared to the TC. Makes the TC feel "clubby" in comparison. Just feels more lively in my hands, if I can use a shotgun term on a rifle.

If you can spend a thousand bucks, try saving just a little more and get yourself custom built rifle that is more historically correct and better quality. In fact, between ordering down payment and finished for delivery and final payment, I'll betcha you will be able to find the extra money needed for a truly heritage rifle that will stay in the family for generations.

I have got one and its a sweet gun and absolutely a perty gun. You will nto be disappointed 90 grains 2f and .015 patch, and a .535 round ball drives tacks.

I do the mountain man events and most guys run either a GPR or a Pedersoli either hawkens they make. And the rest shoot TC's or other makes of hawkens. I prefer all of the above

W.B. Selb is one custom builder, I am currently awaiting a build from him now.

Just checked out wb hawkens. Nice guns but out of my price range. They start at $2000+. I can get the pedersoli for $999 on sale at cabelas and I also have some gift certificates to use their.

TeutonicHeathen said:
I can get the pedersoli for $999 on sale at cabelas....

I'm betting you'll be a very happy camper. It's a dandy, and a gun more than twice as expensive isn't going to be twice as good by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I took the plunge and went ahead and just Bought the Rocky Mountain Hawken in 54 Cal. With Maple stock. I could not resist for the price. It is a beautiful gun for the money. To anyone that has this gun what kind of target loads are you shooting out of it? Also Will Goex FFFg powder work for this gun? That is what I use in my 50 caliber tc hawken with good results and I would only like to stick with one type of powder. Also what size patches to use? I will post pics when it arrives in a week with a range report. :grin:

I think you'll be very happy with the rifle, I hope you will be.

I have a .54 custom Hawken, normally shoot FF but have on occasion shot FFF. It shot fine. I reduced the load a bit, shot 50grs instead of 60grs at 25 yards. Some will say that's too much, but it's the way it worked out. I worked up loads at 25, 50, 70 and 100 (deer hunting load) yards. And light loads were not as accurate. So anyway, work up your loads and I think you'll like a pretty good copy of a Hawken.

TeutonicHeathen said:
Also Will Goex FFFg powder work for this gun? That is what I use in my 50 caliber tc hawken with good results and I would only like to stick with one type of powder.

Not the same gun, but I've found 3f loads that work well in all my 54's. Best answer is to try both 3f and 2f and let the gun decide which is best, but I'd be surprised if 3f wasn't in the close running. It's a top pick for reduced loads, if you do those along with your main load. I buy mostly 3f, so maybe I'm a little prejudiced toward making it work in my guns. In my 54GPR for example, you or I can't tell the difference in groups between 80 grains of 3f and 90 grains of 2f, so I go with 3f.

Mine shoot well with 2f 85 grains, a .015 patch and a .530 ball. The .035 ball groups maybe 1/4-1/2 inch better at 50 yards but loads reallllly hard, and not worth the trouble.

You took the plunge so add on's are kind of useless, but I will chime in.

Mine was in the first container shipped to the U.S., maple was not available then. I like mine and really like the German Silver front sight, nice for low light conditions. Wish maple was an option then.

Fit and workmanship are excellent, buckhorn sights, I do not care for.

Stock does not fit me, I have to crowd the stock to see the sights, too much drop.

For offhand shooting, it's too heavy, more than my upper body strength can handle. Most likely was not made for offhand shooting.

I replaced the wood ramrod with a brass ramrod.
It's a hunting rifle not a line rifle.

I use a removable sling, safer carrying it in the dark.

The rifle is nice and well made with no faults that I can find in manufacturing.

Given a choice between the Rocky Mountain Hawken
and the Pedersoli Tryon, I have to go with the Tryon. It fits me and it's my offhand silhouette rifle. The Hawken gets to go hunting and the Tryon gets to win matches.

Would I buy another one, yes in maple and when on sale.

Back