• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new here!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlie45

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hi everyone!
new here, been reading lots of post and answers for a while and find the info very useful. i'am just getting back into bp for the second time but am using the real bp (goex) and
having a blast with my new pietta 1851 navy .44. hopping to find a good hawkin style rifle in .50 or .54 before spring to shoot mostly targets (patched ball of corse).
i can't thank youall enough fot the great info.

So pull up a chair and join the fire. I'm sure you ARE having a "blast" with a .44 revolver! For a good Hawken style rifle in .50 or .54, designed for ball, consider a 66" or so twist-Maybe a Lyman or even a Thompson Center with a Green Mountain barrel. Although the 48" twist of the stock T/C barrel isn't all that bad for ball, especially with sane powder loads.

hi everyone!
new here, been reading lots of post and answers for a while and find the info very useful.
Welcome! I'm new here too and am also having an absolute BLAST, pun intended, using my 50cal percussion Mowrey Plains Rifle. I too am staying with real BP, using FFFg, and patched round ball.

I am in the "midst" of playing with lubes, both ball patch lubes and a wiping lube. I have bought the "Dwight Shultz system" and it works awesome when in temps above freezing, but I'm gearing up for some winter snowshoe shoots and need to find a patch/wipe system my rifle likes in really c-ccc-cold weather.

Like Charlie45 says ... lots of great people and information here!

sorry but i find that i posted in the wrong place.
canuck caster;
i like the looks of the lyman and plan to steer that way.
also i think i'll go for the 54 cal. and the wind here in vermont she never stop blowing.
nowrey50;
i used to shoot bp cartridge 45-70 and used grease cookies on top of the powder charge 1/4 part bees wax 1 part lard and 1/8 part murphy's oil soap, thin with caster oil or olive oil if too thick. spred over un coated card stock about 1/16 inch thick, cut out with wad punch. this keeps fouling soft for easy wipe. this might hinder long range accury but snowshoe shots are usaly under 50 ft.
ps: good luck with the rabbits.

Welcome - I -too use grease cookies with slugs- .50-70, .50 3-1/4" .45/70, .45 2-7/8"- all worked well- shot without wiping- greased bullets or paper patched with cookies.
: Some of the BP ctg. gun tricks work with ML's as well. When hunting, it is good to keep a barrier of sorts between the lubed wad and the powder charge. I've use card wads, an extra cloth patch, or felt wad - all to advantage without hurting accuracy.
: Thin mixes of beeswax, castor oil and murphy's works well down to about 0F (-18C) for patch lubes. This amounts to Stumpy's Moose Snot lube, which seems to work almost as well for me as spit patches, so far. They worked amazingly well in the .77 cal Bess - for clean shooting- no swabbing necessary.

For a good swab solvent, I use plain ordinary Windex between shots. The ammonia in it cuts the fouling well. Resists freezing too--if Windex freezes, it's too durn cold to shoot my front stuffers! I've also used windshield washer fluid for swabbing too-obviously even more resistant to freezing, but no ammonia to cut the fouling. I don't worry about what goes into my barrel too much while I'm using it, as I clean it very thoroughly when I'm done shooting.

Latest posts

Back