• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New home made caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frontier's

Buckskins & Black Powder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Test: CCI #11 MAG, Home made rubberized plastic caps, cap made with the 22reloader punch and one more with the rubberized cap.

So far, that rubberized plastic cap is super clean burning and seals much better than the other 2 options. Putting the flash where it needs to go!

Priming compound? I'll have that info at a later date. It's not that garbage that falls out.

Ok I'll bite. What makes the plastic cap rubberized and how is it home made. They look like the toy caps that anyone can buy. I have tried them with very poor results. I make my caps and they now work very well.

Ok I'll bite. What makes the plastic cap rubberized and how is it home made. They look like the toy caps that anyone can buy. I have tried them with very poor results. I make my caps and they now work very well.
They are 3d printed. It's a plastic that is rubberized. These do not use the typical compound that the 22reloader kit uses. My post below your post, shows where to find the info.

That or Google Eph20.

3d printing has a lot of different plastics that you can choose from. Too hard and it breaks, or worse, punches a hole and plugs your nipple similar to a dud cap that plugs your nipple with paper/priming.

1000009982.jpg

The rubberized cap provides an actual seal that moves more gasses from the cap, to the powder.

These weremade yesterday, test fired them dry today and late this evening. Test fired them for reliability and accuracy.
50 yards
1000010014.jpg

The next test batch, Instead of regular paper over the compound ( prevents compound from sticking to the packing tool ) we will instead, switch to nitrate paper for an extra boost.

They are 3d printed. It's a plastic that is rubberized. These do not use the typical compound that the 22reloader kit uses. My post below your post, shows where to find the info.

That or Google Eph20.

3d printing has a lot of different plastics that you can choose from. Too hard and it breaks, or worse, punches a hole and plugs your nipple similar to a dud cap that plugs your nipple with paper/priming.

View attachment 346042

The rubberized cap provides an actual seal that moves more gasses from the cap, to the powder.

These weremade yesterday, test fired them dry today and late this evening. Test fired them for reliability and accuracy.
50 yards
View attachment 346043
The next test batch, Instead of regular paper over the compound ( prevents compound from sticking to the packing tool ) we will instead, switch to nitrate paper for an extra boost.
This looks promising! What brand filament do you use and are there any special steps to using it compared to regular PLA?

This looks promising! What brand filament do you use and are there any special steps to using it compared to regular PLA?
Lots more special equipment and time involved making it. The end product is superb to any other priming compound available. Initial set up was over $300 but this also can make over 500k caps.

The printed caps are the future and actually work better than metallic.
Get the license to sell them charged and you have a viable business model is my guess.

The printed caps are the future and actually work better than metallic.
Get the license to sell them charged and you have a viable business model is my guess.
I've not tried them with primer in there, but treating them like snap caps they get hole punched in the nipple. I'm wondering if the back pressure from a shot could be enough to clear it out.

I've not tried them with primer in there, but treating them like snap caps they get hole punched in the nipple. I'm wondering if the back pressure from a shot could be enough to clear it out.
Exactly why we're using the rubberized plastic. Even the popcan caps were punching holes in the center.

The priming compound we're using is HARD when it sets up, so that helps a lot.

Lots more special equipment and time involved making it. The end product is superb to any other priming compound available. Initial set up was over $300 but this also can make over 500k caps.
I have a friend that uses this formula to make/reload pistol primers, I am making 3D printed caps with PLA- was just wondering if the flexible filament requires any different type of process or just set to required temp and print just like PLA.

I suspect the fact they do not jam up revolvers is a huge selling point.......even the 1849.

Back