• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New horns!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riku

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Set of new horns that I made for my friend as a surprise! One large fur trade era style with brass tacks ,priming horn and powder measure from deers leg bone.
[url] http://cows-finland.org/gallery/Blackhand[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
BLACKHAND ~ The pictures of the horns you made are of interest to me. I would like to implement the brass tacks to the center of the horns I have in mind to build....but have been hesitant. The question/s I have are... Do the tacks go all the way thru the horn and are they exposed to the inside??? Do you peen them over or leave them straight? What do you use if you peen them? Here's the real worry. If these tacks are uncoated and in contact with the power inside the horn. Isn't there a possibility of static electricity helping the ignition of the powder? I have pondered the heck out of this question. Copper is a conductor (like in cheap flash lights...the battery contacts), lead can be a conductor (Just look at the battery posts on a automoble battery). Brass can conduct electricity. Now, I mount tacks on my horn and have a linen shirt or wool shirt rubbing on it as I move around ... I have my concerns. That high school science class keeps haunting me ... the one where the teacher rubbed a rubber comb in his hair or with a cloth and then touched it to two pith balls or paper and there was this static electricity charging that was exemplified. So I figure you are coating the tacks inside the horn...???. What is the coating and how is that done??? STILL WONDERING

Thanks for info. That was a most informative link, pictures were proof of the pudding. I believe I will implement the brass tacks. Just hope there's no wild thing going on with Cell-Phones now. Like don't use your Cell while gassing up or loading up one's horn. Just kidding! I think!

Blackhand - do you drill and glue those tacks? If you do drill, do you cut off the shaft? I can't imagine it going all the way into the body of the horn. By the way, I like the pattern and the cross effect.

I pre drilled 114 holes (all the way thru) that are little smaller than the brasstacks spike.Then I cut more than half from the spikes and gently hammered them into places.I did leave them straight.Just to be sure and safe side I coated the spikes that were showing inside the horn(about just 1-1.5 millimeters) with animal glue.About 3 times. That horn was influenced by 2 other horns when I starded to make it. One original from 1840 comanche horn and one reproduction fur trade era horn.

Well I was almost 2 and half weeks on a sick leave. Stupid flu.So I had the time.First few days was fine but after that I got so bored and wondered what to do and a friend took my dog for ten days.So what to do. Okay I'll make a horn.After that. Okay I'll make another one.Then I made powder measure + hornspoon with a snake ornament and yet another very small horn where you storage needles or salt or whatever.I think I went little bit over my head. :grin:

Few new photos kind of a french marine horn with different spout!
[url] http://cows-finland.org/gallery/Blackhand[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back