• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New hunter from NC

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Undead246

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm a rather young hunter, but have had my fair share of experience with modern firearms, and to me there just wasn't any thrill to knowing that I had 6 shots that were guaranteed to work. So a few weeks ago I decided to order my first muzzleloader ever and learn the act. I ordered a deerhunter .50cal muzzleloading kit, was in the $280 range after shipping and everything. To be honest I grabbed the cheapest muzzleloader I could find with the intention of being able to learn all the tips the hard way. Well while I waited for the muzzleloader to come in the mail I watched a lot of muzzleloader tip videos and when I actually got my muzzleloader I found out that the act is generally easy, but it's a process of pride and joy. Anyway, my name is Daniel, I'm from NC, more specifically Haywood County, you can read our laws and such and know I'm in a terrible place for hunting. We have a small deer population, and very limited season, but that won't stop me. To be honest, I've never actually hunted big game. This will be my first year, and I intend to muzzleload the entire season. The first shot you take with a muzzleloader is like sealing a deal, makes a bond that I'll never break, hence why after only getting my first muzzleloader a week ago, I now have registered on this site. I'm very glad to see that this site is active, and many hunters still use traditional firearms, and shy away from inlines. I look forward to reading more stories and getting new tips from this site, and hopefully after this season have a few stories of my own to share. :)

Welcome and good luck this hunting season. You are right about the herd, the season and the limits where you live. That is one reason that I live in NC but hunt in SC. Enjoy the forum.

:thumbsup: Congrats on your first ML.You came to the right place to learn,enjoy your adventure into the world of BP.Griz

58 caliber said:
Welcome aboard and good luck with the hunting. Is the new gun a flintlock or percussion?

Dave
Well I bought the cheapest rifle kit I could find just to see what muzzleloading is like. It's a Deerhunter .50 cal percussion, but I'll most likely buy a Hawkens percussion or flintlock before the season starts because I want to be 100% traditional and the muzzleloader I purchased came with the fiber optic true glow sights, and a fiber glass/rubber type ramrod and I'd prefer to have steel sights and a wooden ramrod, which I may just purchase for the gun I own and change the parts.

Thanks for all the people welcoming me to the site! I'm glad to be here!

MacRob46 said:
Welcome and good luck this hunting season. You are right about the herd, the season and the limits where you live. That is one reason that I live in NC but hunt in SC. Enjoy the forum.
A lot of hunters I've spoken with say that they either go to SC or KY, but I've had many encounters where I have to stop my vehicle and let deer pass through the road in the Lake Logan area near the shooting range.

Also, sorry for double posting, I couldn't figure out an easy way to double quote.

Welcome sir, from another newbie....actually, like yourself, I've just recently acquired a rifle, moved from NC (near Gastonia) to Mn., and joined the forum very recently.

Welcome....I think you'll be pleased where you've landed....and I'm not often wrong about my first impressions.

Undead, you started out just like I did.Except for the fact that I bought mine already built for $170. It starts to grow on you after you start shooting it.It all starts here and grows. Good luck with the new rifle. Keep in touch with the group here and hook up with some shooters that can help you along.

Back