• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Lyman .54cal possible crown issue...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, why am I not shocked that Lyman has Quality control issues with their barrels. Ohh that's right because I have gotten numerous of their turd barrels, and hmmm they are always machining issues.

Unfortunate for them, and the end customers receiving their product. The manual states of their strict QA procedure and inspection of each product before it leaves the factory... I certainly won't buy another even though I'm content with the purchase. I did however call Lyman, no issue of returning the barrel if it truly ends up being a defect. Here's the funny part, I mentioned my concern to the woman who was helping me out... she was so, so with information. Once I asked if she had received any customer complaints about barrel issue's and I quote... " Well sir it's a complicated machine with many moving parts..." Ma'am, what I'm talking about is a firearm barrel, zero moving parts. I then asked her if she would transfer me to a technical rep or in-house gunsmith which she did, but still haven't received any information via email or a return call after leaving a message.

I agree. Lyman barrels, at least the one on my GPR .50 had flaws that made it a bad shooter and couldn't be fixed. I bought a new Green River barrel from Pecatonica and now it shoots well and has become one of my favorites. I know everyone doesn't have these problems, but more and more seem to be showing up. Trying to fix it yourself can void the warranty and Lyman is not the nicest company to deal with in my opinion.

Had numerous issues with a left handed GPR. It was with the Lock, which I finally sent It In for the third Time and to please send me another, and they did. Then the Set triggers started jamming, they sent me a new one. In talking to the Rep. He said that there were some Issues of some of the Barrels that were bored off Center. In other words, the reamer would start out straight but because it wasn`t sharp it would drift off to the side. Not an issue with Mine. It was a good shooter but I sold It cheap to a new shooter.

I'll tell ya what guys, I'm absolutely torn here... Not like there isn't enough smoke poles in the safe, but there is just something about it that's driving me nuts! I honestly don't think it's going to be an issue but I can't get over it! Just so irritated because there should be no reason why Lyman can't replace or fix the barrel if defective on their part and not take up to 3 weeks to do it.

Take it easy,, your upset about a problem that doesn't exsit.
Look above at your previous posts;
I honestly have no intention of using this rifle beyond 50 yard's. To be realistic, it probably will never reach out to 50
What's the problem beyond cosmetics?
If it ain't broke don't fret nun about fixin it.
:idunno:
The crown can be improved on all factory rifles,,
A Marble with grinding compound is a lot tuffer than a marble on the floor, covered with a piece of sand paper or scotch pad,, hold the barrel down over it and rotate the barrel.
You can fix the "issue" in 15 minutes while watching TV. :doh:

Lead Slinger said:
Had numerous issues with a left handed GPR. It was with the Lock, which I finally sent It In for the third Time and to please send me another, and they did. Then the Set triggers started jamming, they sent me a new one. In talking to the Rep. He said that there were some Issues of some of the Barrels that were bored off Center. In other words, the reamer would start out straight but because it wasn`t sharp it would drift off to the side. Not an issue with Mine. It was a good shooter but I sold It cheap to a new shooter.
I had one of those barrels it shot so far left the sights were almost off barrel at 25 yards, moved out to 50 and way left again.

I have an older, probably 15 Years old, GPR Percussion that has never given Me trouble.I would like to get A Flintlock Lyman Trade Rifle for our late Pa. Season but am just a bit wary......

As far a Lyman is concerned, they will not consider your muzzle to be defective! That's the way they make all of them. If you choose to pursue them for a new barrel, they may exchange it for you but you will find the new one to look remarkably like your present one.

that said, the muzzle is not crowned as it should be but if you take your choice of corrective measures mentioned above it can be easily remedied.

Yes, you are now an addict like the rest of us. LOL....I am in process of buying another Hawken or Trade rifle myself. It never stops! Addict since 1976 and totally incurable.

If it was me I would send that barrel back. Part of all this is having a nice gun and that is why you bought new! It would bother me everytime I had to look at it....that kind of stuff bothers me, so if it was me it would be going back for another barrel.

I have a Left handed GPR from Lyman Mfg date 2000,, not problems with it at all... Could be the year it was made and the quality ,,

This site "The Gun Builders Bench" check out the Muzzle tool davec2 has posted,,, he is an Aerospace engineer and knows his stuff,,

Just finished up polishing up the crown and getting rid of the patch cutting sharpness of the lands. Smooth as a baby's rear and same for the bore. Hopefully I'll get her out during Thanksgiving week for some test shots. I'm anticipating all to be well. Lyman did happen to call back and replacing the barrel certainly won't be a problem if there ends up being a defect in accuracy. Installed a new hot shot nipple and all is ready to go! Case hardening is rather beautiful to I must say!
Gsba3JO.jpg

YXLp502.jpg

It's just a matter of economics that these guns need some work. One can get around it by spending $1000 or more.

those new pics look way better!

Well Crewdog, what's the verdict on this Lyman? Did you ever get it shooting right or did you get a new barrel?? Greg

Back