• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member with some questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loupis

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi to you all. I'm new to the forum and muzzleloaders I plan on purchasing my first sometime next week. That leads me to my questions and feedback that I need from you all. I plan on hunting this year with just a muzzleloader black bear and deer. I love in NH so cold weather and damp conditions can play a factor. I also hunt a very diverse area of land where it can go from pine forest to popler/manure trees to big open fields. So I would like my rifle on the shorter side of the spectrum. I have read info about both inline and traditional style firearms. I really keep getting drawn back to the flint. I have been looking at the TC firestorm, I personally like the old meets new look. I just want to be sure this rifle will fill my needs and be reliable. I should also mention I spot and stalk. No blinds or tree stands. I run from cover to cover always moving.

We'll I know that's a lot of random stuff I threw down but any advice would be great.

Thanks Corey

You're asking a bunch of traditional muzzleloaders about rifles that are not really accepted as traditional "style" rifles. True most of use are not shooting original firearms, but trying to stay closer to that style of rifles. If I wanted to shot a flintlock, I'd look more to a custom built, half stocked rifle, and these can be found more in your neck of the woods, than down here in the south. If I was going to choose a Thompson Center, for walking, I'd at least try to find a more traditional looking rifle, perhaps a Renegade or TC Hawken. My first choice would be a nice custom "Plains" or Ohio style rifle.

Hey thanks for the response. Yeah I know I threw a lot of info in there. I guess I just assumed flintlock was flintlock not modern and traditional. I'm open to any rifle wood or synthetic as far as rifle kits and you said custom rifles. Have any suggestions? I like the Hawkens style rifle I would just have to put hi viz sights on whatever rifle I got. I just am not gonna be comfortable spending 600+ for my first muzzleloader not until I get more hands on experience with the flintlock.

Thanks again.

I noticed they sell Lyman kit guns. Can anyone briefly tell me what it in tails to assemble one?

The tasks to put one of the Lyman kit guns entail final inleting the metal parts, shaping the wood to metal fit, installing the sights and tenons, polishing the metal parts, browning or blueing the barrel and final finish of the stock. Its about 40 to 100 hours of work.

You will need small chisels for the inletting. You need gunsmith screwdrivers and lots of small files.

Before you start a kit, get one of the books on assembling a kit, such as"The Gunsmith of Grenville County" by Peter Alexander. This book pertains more to a generic parts kit than a packaged kit such as the Lyman. The insghts to assembly are much better covered in Alexander's book than the the instructions included with the Lyman kit.

A good choice would be an in-the-white kit available from many makers. These will be much closer to a custom gun that you do the final finish. These will work assembled needing sanding, polishing, staining and applying finish.

Loupis said:
I noticed they sell Lyman kit guns. Can anyone briefly tell me what it in tails to assemble one?
Just buy a gently used one it will run ya around 300-400 dollars on average and you only have to shoot it. Theres a few for sale in the forum now.

I just finished a Lyman GPR kit and it took me about 25 hours of work to get it done. All the inletting I had to do was to use two chisels as scrapers to take wood off existing mortises so things fit properly. If you have a modicum of abilities with tools this would be the perfect kit to start with. Go to the Gun Builders forum and do a search on Lyman GPR and you will get a better picture of what it takes to build one of these kits.

It's important to start out solely with a rifle that pleases YOU. Price, caliber and style need to meet your criteria, which at this point seem to be simply something to give you good practice in handling a flintlock reliably enough to hunt confidently.

There's always someone who puts a damper on the initial enthusiasm by asserting that that you're interested in is not period correct, and you need to spend beau coups bucks on a proper custom build - pure BS, since there's time to learn and grow with a "lesser" :shake: correct rifle. Get something you'll be satisfied to start out with. A rifle you can learn to handle. Through handling, carrying and firing, you will discover, without the distracting coaching of experts, more about what you want, don't want, or want to find out about.

Once you have more questions, there will be a plethora of folks here ready to point you in a myriad of directions. There are precious few here who would seriously look down their nose at any choice of rifle you make, or would disparage any of your questions or concerns about learning or growing in flintlock shooting. Not everyone has the deep pockets to own truly authentic styled rifles.

Would you consider a Mercedes, Jaguar or Porsche as first car to learn on? Maybe some of you would be so foolish, but not realistically in my world.

Start "cheap". Learn what will make your production line gun perform better, spend time getting to know it, and you can progress from there.

The learning curve for you at this point in time is to learn the mechanics of how to make your flintlock, of any design or price, perform to your satisfaction. Leave room to grow for later.

As already mentioned, take a look at the rifles in the classified ads. Prices will be genuine bargains, and everything there would be more than a capable choice to begin with.

I've been shooting percussion rifles since the late 60's. I have a .40 cal. rifle my Dad and I finished in 1970. The first rifle is an accomplishment not to be ignored, plus it's great fun to shoot.

I've always preferred halfstock rifles, and have a couple of the Investarms Cabelas models. They were used, and affordable for me, and are capable shooters.

Last year I got a new Lyman Great Plains flintlock. With proper break-in, a little tuning and tweaking, and it performs for me every bit as well as would a pricey custom-built.

Someday when I retire and have plenty of time to devote to a scratch build, I'll make my dream rifle. Meanwhile, I'm maintaining and building proficiency with what I already have. I never feel under classed or under gunned at the range. Not even amidst the custom-built shooters. They are, with rare exception, an understanding bunch.

for what it's worth, I would recommend you get a well-cared-for T/C Renegade or a Lyman GPR (Great Plains Rifle) ... these are both well made guns for the money and will serve you well, even after you add more elegant and expensive flintlocks to your collection.

(has anyone told this fellow about the highly addictive nature of this deal, or do we save that until he's fully hooked? - just asking ...)

no flintlock will shoot well without a bit of tinkering - you'll have to figure out how to properly set the flint, the charge/ball/patch combination which provides the tightest groups, and so on ... for the latter, I would recommend you purchase Dutch Schoultz' method, here
http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

it's money very well spent, and this will give you a good 'handle' on what's going on when you fire the rifle. if you follow instructions, your groups will shrink ... what's not to like?

as regards building your own, I would defer that project until after the hunting season ... you don't want to rush the build and end up with something that always reminds you that you could have done a much better job if only you'd slowed down and taken your time.

just one guy's opinion ... free and no doubt well worth the price.

either way, make good smoke!

Last edited by a moderator:
First he'll get the rifle, then the horn, hawk, knife ,clothes ,tent , rain fly, camp kitchen, then because he is getting old and stiff a raised icebox, and brazier. soon he will end up with a real camp. Such is the addiction . But at least after he has his camp he will have a place to live since his wife will probably kick him out of the house screaming: " First it was that stinking gun then all of the other manure, either it goes or you do! " He is going to miss that little old gal.

You might also consider the Lyman Trade Rifle. Its generally the same profile of the Firestorm but a little more traditional looking. Available from D and R Sports Center for around $360 bucks. Go to: http://www.dnrsports.com/ That said, the Lyman Great Plains rifle would be better for informal target shooting if you get involved in a muzzleloading club, although it is a bit heavier in the woods. Either D&R or Midsouth Shooters Supply at: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com carries them at attractive prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll thanks for all the advice fellas. Anything that goes boom usually always turns to an addiction. I already have a camp lacking the teepee tho lol. My girl is pretty good about such things she likes Product, I like hunting and firearms. I got my trapping license this year and it didn't bother her a bit as long as I don't cut them up in front of her.

As far as the rifle I have been looking various places and all the links you guys supplied is very helpful I appreciate it. I like the traditional look a lot, but I need to put modern sights on them (hi-viz) anything that makes it easier for me to hit the spot and humanely put down the animal is a no brainer for me. I'm still a little skeptical on the flintlock reliability during our winter months but I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Thanks again guys

Loupis said:
I'm still a little skeptical on the flintlock reliability during our winter months but I'm sure it won't be a problem.
You shouldn't be.
A flintlock is every bit as reliable as a centerfire IF you (the shooter) do your part. I've hunted in everything from rain to snow to hail to wind to sunny days in winter with my flintlock with no problems. The only real concern is the powder in the pan and making sure the barrel channel is sealed so no moisture can wick into the pan.

Something to remember - cheap flintlocks will drive you crazy and are what have perpetuated the myth that flintlocks aren't reliable. Buy the best you can afford and learn to shoot it.

AZbpBurner said:
It's important to start out solely with a rifle that pleases YOU. Price, caliber and style need to meet your criteria, which at this point seem to be simply something to give you good practice in handling a flintlock reliably enough to hunt confidently.

There's always someone who puts a damper on the initial enthusiasm by asserting that that you're interested in is not period correct, and you need to spend beau coups bucks on a proper custom build - pure BS, since there's time to learn and grow with a "lesser" :shake: correct rifle. Get something you'll be satisfied to start out with. A rifle you can learn to handle. Through handling, carrying and firing, you will discover, without the distracting coaching of experts, more about what you want, don't want, or want to find out about.

Once you have more questions, there will be a plethora of folks here ready to point you in a myriad of directions. There are precious few here who would seriously look down their nose at any choice of rifle you make, or would disparage any of your questions or concerns about learning or growing in flintlock shooting. Not everyone has the deep pockets to own truly authentic styled rifles.

Would you consider a Mercedes, Jaguar or Porsche as first car to learn on? Maybe some of you would be so foolish, but not realistically in my world.

Start "cheap". Learn what will make your production line gun perform better, spend time getting to know it, and you can progress from there.

The learning curve for you at this point in time is to learn the mechanics of how to make your flintlock, of any design or price, perform to your satisfaction. Leave room to grow for later.

As already mentioned, take a look at the rifles in the classified ads. Prices will be genuine bargains, and everything there would be more than a capable choice to begin with.

I've been shooting percussion rifles since the late 60's. I have a .40 cal. rifle my Dad and I finished in 1970. The first rifle is an accomplishment not to be ignored, plus it's great fun to shoot.

I've always preferred halfstock rifles, and have a couple of the Investarms Cabelas models. They were used, and affordable for me, and are capable shooters.

Last year I got a new Lyman Great Plains flintlock. With proper break-in, a little tuning and tweaking, and it performs for me every bit as well as would a pricey custom-built.

Someday when I retire and have plenty of time to devote to a scratch build, I'll make my dream rifle. Meanwhile, I'm maintaining and building proficiency with what I already have. I never feel under classed or under gunned at the range. Not even amidst the custom-built shooters. They are, with rare exception, an understanding bunch.

An excellent reply to the "THREAD COUNTER" type of people.

Bill

I have no where near the experience of others on this forum! However not too long ago I was in the same position as you are now, starting out. IMHO you have recieved some of the best advise from AZbpBurner that you will ever get in this game. I would like to extend an invite to you to come to Canton, Maine to the Fall Vous of The Ancient Ones of Maine in October. I promise that between the professional builders and shooters you will have the oportunity to handle and shoot many different rifles/smoothbores. We pride ourselves on being a family oriented group most interested in assisting each other get started and stay interested in this great hobby.

Latest posts

Back