• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I started shooting BP in the early '70's, with TC stuff. Went to a couple of .45's, semi-hand built, and hunted with them until the mid-80's and quit gun hunting, altogether.
Went to bow hunting, long bows, wood arrows, Howard Hill style until the 90's, and quit hunting completely.
About a year and a half ago, after seeing some squirrel hunting threads, I dug out my guns and started shooting with the local BP club, Fort Osage Muzzleloading Club, punching paper.
I've since added 3 Kibler's, 2 .40 SMR's and a .54 Woodsrunner. And find it very enjoyable to get out and shoot, at least, once a month.
Being almost 75, I can't see as well as I used to, and with back and shoulder issues, I can't hit targets as well as I used to. But, the good thing is, "they" aren't shooting back.
Looking forward to being a member here.

Thanks,
Howard

Hey Howard.......My favorite caliber was the .62. But , at age 70 something , the recoil of 90 gr.ffg got to my sick shoulders. So , for a deer caliber , I went back to a .50 w/a mild 80 gr.fffg in a 1 turn in 62 " twist Colerain barrel. Also , I use a .40 cal. due to the wt. of the long rifle being under 6 lb.. How to do this is w/a .40 in a 3/4" Oct. st. barrel 38 " long. Your next question might be , I can't see the sights , and target? I like tang peep sights. You can try this approach ......To see if a peep will help clear up fuzzy sights , put a small piece of black electrician tape , 3/8 " square on your glasses w/a small hole punched in the tape. This emulates a peep sight well enough for you to try it. Sorry if i'm off in the weeds here , but all this might have some answers embedded in it to help you. All this stuff is in the old m/ling insanity hand book. Many old guys here have a mental copy of this crazy stuff in their heads. Just ask? Most of us can puke this info out on demand , so have at it.

Hello,
I started shooting BP in the early '70's, with TC stuff. Went to a couple of .45's, semi-hand built, and hunted with them until the mid-80's and quit gun hunting, altogether.
Went to bow hunting, long bows, wood arrows, Howard Hill style until the 90's, and quit hunting completely.
About a year and a half ago, after seeing some squirrel hunting threads, I dug out my guns and started shooting with the local BP club, Fort Osage Muzzleloading Club, punching paper.
I've since added 3 Kibler's, 2 .40 SMR's and a .54 Woodsrunner. And find it very enjoyable to get out and shoot, at least, once a month.
Being almost 75, I can't see as well as I used to, and with back and shoulder issues, I can't hit targets as well as I used to. But, the good thing is, "they" aren't shooting back.
Looking forward to being a member here.

Thanks,
Howard
Howdy from Texas.

Back