• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC 56 caliber, why 56? why not something smaller?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newly O’Brian

12ga, 32, 36, 44, 45, 54 and 58 cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So, why did TC pick 56 caliber for their smooth bore caliber?

Were they the RIFLED barrels that didn't pass QA, so they reworked them to smooth bore 56 to save them? (Reamed out the bad rifling)

They were not making 28 ga anything in the hawken, renegade platform or any other platform they did however make 58 rifled. GM did the same thing in replacement barrels not sure how many they did but I sold one when I had my barrel supply company

As already stated years ago the Massachusetts market needed a good smoothbore for hunting.

I own one of these smooth rifles and they are a great gun. Inside 80 yards they are rather accurate and you can load it for turkey or varmints.
If I could only have 1 gun in my safe, I would pick my TC Renegade in .56 smoothbore. Versatile, and accurate, good gun all around.

Yup, unrifled 58 bores made expressly for Mass.

I once had one and put 4-shots through the same ragged hole from a bench @ 50-yards. Told my Dad, he was with me ... but he didn't believe me .. and yet it was he who taught me 'how to' shoot, LOL!. Then I told him I'd intentionally hold 1" low on the next shot ... and PRESTO ... it hit 1" below the other group! Alas, done in the age before cell phones and who knows where that target is nowadays ...

If anyone is interested, I'll be soon posting 3 or 4 for sale, none over $300, some 56s to be used as is, others as candidates to be rifled to be 58s by Bobby Hoyt.

I still have a .58 rifle from InvestArms, and it's only 15/16" across flats.
I've got a few of those, nice handling rifles.

I always thought the 56 smoothie was neat but never had one. Years ago 2 of my old club members each bought one for deer hunting with a smooth bore, you should have seen their faces when I told them Nebraska has a 62 or bigger smooth bore requirement.😆

Back