• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint Lock Main Spring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I was looking around and found this. Feels strong enough.

Attachments

• 9k=(1).jpg
    9k=(1).jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 0
@Jappo you might contact Paul Ackermann at https://www.ackermannarms.com/

He might have something he can modify to fit, or just make one outright.
Contacted them and I'll be sending the lock to them. I was quoted a very reasonable price just to make a spring. They will quote me to tune it and get it working right after they get it.

Pretty crazy

$200 is about what most gunmakers would charge to make a hand made mainspring. It takes 5-6 hours total, cut the steel, shape the steel, fit, harden temper, then re fit (if needed) and tune … at teh most someone is making 20-25 an hour. If someone quotes 100 bucks or less, and it takes them more than 3 hours, your down to minimum wage or less.

$200 is about what most gunmakers would charge to make a hand made mainspring. It takes 5-6 hours total, cut the steel, shape the steel, fit, harden temper, then re fit (if needed) and tune … at teh most someone is making 20-25 an hour. If someone quotes 100 bucks or less, and it takes them more than 3 hours, your down to minimum wage or less.
The sense I got from dealing with Mr. Ackermann is that he gets compensated mostly by love of supporting muzzleloading and muzzleloaders. I think he's got a main job and doesn't need the income from a side job muzzleloader gunsmithing to put food on the table. Keep in mind I'm just guessing, so please don't try to take advantage simply to save a few bucks.

The sense I got from dealing with Mr. Ackermann is that he gets compensated mostly by love of supporting muzzleloading and muzzleloaders. I think he's got a main job and doesn't need the income from a side job muzzleloader gunsmithing to put food on the table. Keep in mind I'm just guessing, so please don't try to take advantage simply to save a few bucks.

Paul is retired.

There’s no standard price on the work, it’s all based on fact and circumstance. Ask Paul to repair an Indian lock I’m confident he would decline that job due to the time and cost.

With that said Brad Emig is an excellent gunsmith and is worth his rate. His reviews and reputation warrants it.

I do work with Paul, Paul is excellent also and would recommend him to anyone. Paul’s rate is Paul’s business, high or lower he’s worth every penny.

Last edited:
Back