• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Mexico Newbie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerman3133

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just thought I would say hello. I am easing back into the black powder scene. I have been shooting for about 3 decades, but haven't dabbled in the black for about 10 years. I am shooting a Hawken that my Dad assembled from a kit back around 1973, it is a .50 cal percusion piece. It has been neglected for a while, and the bore seems to be a mite rough, but I am working on it. I picked up 10# of Black a couple of weeks ago, Goex 2F and 3F to try and see which it likes better, along with .495 and .490 RB, it now is shooting a group, 1st time out I would have called it a pattern. Hope to learn, and maybe contribute someday. Cheers
Dave

Welcome?

What part of new Mexico are you from?

I spent 10 years in Roswell.

ioannes

Dave,
Welcome to the MLF,great to have you
with us.Visited White Sands, N.M. about
45 years ago.The one thing I remember were
the mountains.You could always see them,
but never seem to get to them.
Hope you visit often and contribute
when you can.
I am snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Hola Dave,

Still haven't run into you yet even though we're neighbors. I hear there's a rendezvous up in Ruidoso in the 1st week of Nov.

Sean

I am in Alamogordo, and right now I work out on the missile range, right in the middle of all that blinding, blowing white sand, sure is purty, but not good for people or equipment. I do have quite a few modern firearms, my favorites being ones that started out as Black Powder rounds(45 Colt & 45/70). I cast bullets, but don't have the lead or moulds to cast round ball, I need to decide which diameter I like best before I take that plunge. I have hunted with traditional archery tackle the past few years, but with my kids really getting into sports, I don't have the time to practice enough to feel as comfortable as I should. I plan on applying to hunt with the Hawken next year providing I can get it shooting the groups I want, I know how to get close, but I still like the ability to have precise shot placement, as that is what brings critters down, plus I would like to be able to reliably shoot bunnies in the head so I can eat them. Thank you one and all for the warm welcome, hope to run into ya'll someday.

Dave

Welcome Dave,

I'm new here too. I shot archery for decades, both wheel bows and tradintional, but a back injury put an end to that. Now I'm going back to ML and starting the learning curve all over again. This sight is great, these guys are very helpful and know there stuff. Good to see another New Mexican on here, I'm from Gallup.

Roger

Used to live in Socorro myself, wher I learned BP shooting in the '70s. Spent many afternoons shooting when I shoulda been in class (N.M. Tech). Wish I was back.

All the best

Back