• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Movie The Revenant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"The Revenant" is a remake of "Man in the Wilderness" starring Richard Harris and John Huston. It's about a man mauled by a bear and left for dead and his aftermath of trials and tribulations in his quest for revenge on those who left him to die.

What's puzzling to me are the criticisms of Leonardo Dicaprio before these so-called critics have even viewed the movie. A smack of politics or?

Hollywood can create illusions that can transform Dicaprio into the role that is expected in this movie. My advice....view the movie w/ an "open mind", if that's possible and enjoy what your money has bought...a ticket to an illusionary figure that might, if your pre-judgement allows, entertain you. That's what movies do.....Fred

flehto said:
"The Revenant" is a remake of "Man in the Wilderness" starring Richard Harris and John Huston. It's about a man mauled by a bear and left for dead and his aftermath of trials and tribulations in his quest for revenge on those who left him to die.

Its actually a movie adaptation of the book The Revenant (subtitled A Novel of Revenge ) by Michael Punk. Its a novel based on the Hugh Glass story. I read it a few years ago and thought it was a decent book. I'm sure I'll be ridiculed but I never really cared for the movie Man in the Wilderness.

Another horrid "mountain man" movie.

As for Dicaprio, I know not his politics, but find him a sleazy, ratlike, terrible man-boy actor who, since he wasn't abandoned at birth, can only end his stellar career now in a famous on-film critical-injury-causing accident at the height of it. I live in hope. Get rid of the stunt doubles and keep those cameras rolling fellas -- it won't be long!

As for Dicaprio, I know not his politics, but find him a sleazy, ratlike, terrible man-boy actor who, since he wasn't abandoned at birth, can only end his stellar career now in a famous on-film critical-injury-causing accident at the height of it. I live in hope. Get rid of the stunt doubles and keep those cameras rolling fellas -- it won't be long!

Hatred that deep , reeks of jealousy.... :shake:

I really don't get the hate for Dicaprio... Yes, he did some chick flick movies early in his career, but the man is a phenomenal actor. He is solid in everything he does. Honestly, those who dismiss him for his movie star looks are the same people who would have dismissed Marlon Brando early in his career.

Maybe Dicaprio needs to gain 100 lbs of fat or get in a disfiguring accident maybe more will take him seriously.

pab1 said:
I'm sure I'll be ridiculed but I never really cared for the movie Man in the Wilderness.

I have to agree with you there. The attempt at being "artsy" ruined the story to me. Even if I had never read about Hugh Glass before then, I don't think I would have enjoyed it. It was just a slow moving excuse for entertainment.

I intend to go see the Revenant. I haven't heard of any other movies over the holidays that sound interesting, and judging by the trailers I think this is one that would be worth seeing on the big screen. I really don't care who is acting in it, or that it is supposed to be linked to the very real, yet larger than life, Hugh Glass. I would be willing to bet, come January, everyone here will have seen it and be posting about it. :pop:

Sooter76 said:
Maybe Dicaprio needs to gain 100 lbs of fat or get in a disfiguring accident maybe more will take him seriously.

Maybe maybe. I'm willing to take that chance. Either way it's a good start!

In any case, I don't think anybody really thinks of him as looking like a "movie star" or actor the caliber of Marlon Brando for gosh sake.

Hello. When I was a child I went to see the film in my city, in northern Spain, "Man in the Wilderness", whose exteriors are filmed in Spain, and also "Jeremiah Johnson" (my favorite movie), "Winterhawk" "Grayeagle "" The Mountain Man "and" Hawken's Breed "(some directed by Charle B. Pierce). Then, in the University, I majored in "Philosophy of cinema" with a job, a book, about the film "Sergeant Rutledge" by John Ford, starring Woody Strode. I think "The Revenant" is a good movie, but the film is art and mythology, and gives lessons of history (as John Ford said), so lovers muzzleloader we may be too critical of the film. Regards.

Alden said:
Another horrid "mountain man" movie.

Aint too many folks in Hollywood I would want a beer with. The Church used to excommunicate actors :hmm: I got to say I watch a movie, not an actor. I know what's going to happen for me. I will watch it and might enjoy it but will complain how Hollywood screwed up :haha: Like Charly Brown I will always kick Lucy's ball and feel dumb after words.

Maybe, just maybe, this Movie will Spark a new revival in the Young People to become Mountain men and cause our Sport to Skyrocket with new Shooters ???? Naw, never mind.....

I'd be interested to see if that actually happens. To be honest, many young people these days won't waste time on a movie that is based on old history. I know many young people that will refuse to watch a movie that is made in black and white. Many will not watch anything to do with the old west or cowboys (a damn shame). It will be interesting to see what kind of age groups do go see this movie.

I remember a guy I worked with some 20 years ago had a nickname for all the old white haired retirees he saw driving around slow and in his way. He called them Q-tips, cause that is what it looked like was driving the car in front of you when you were in a hurry. I fear the audience at this movie might look like a bunch of Q-tips as well.

BTW, I think that guy is old enough to be a Q-tip himself by now. Never make fun of old people, because you just might become one yourself. :grin:

Based upon the trailer...this movie is going to be action packed....should draw in the young and old alike.

Just watched the foreign film The Dark Canyon...which is very much an American mountain man/western set in the mountains of Europe. It was very good...and I would recommend it to anyone who can read. The actor and main character in the movie did an excellent job...presenting as tough and resolute...but in a real way....not macho Rambo BS.

I would be interested to hear from those who oppose Leo in this role...as to who amongst current Hollywood stars would be a better match?

I think Leo will bring something extra to this film....not all mountain men were the big....burly..."stereotypical" types ....in fact many were just plain crazy types...which is something Leo can pull off. Oh...and there is the fact that he is just so...DREAMY!!! :grin:

Native Arizonan said:
I remember a guy I worked with some 20 years ago had a nickname for all the old white haired retirees he saw driving around slow and in his way. He called them Q-tips, cause that is what it looked like was driving the car in front of you when you were in a hurry. I fear the audience at this movie might look like a bunch of Q-tips as well.

BTW, I think that guy is old enough to be a Q-tip himself by now. Never make fun of old people, because you just might become one yourself. :grin:
Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill every time

Saw this morning that the 1st TV preview came on last nite. Watched it on the computer, but it didn't look any different than the teaser trailer.. Guess we'll just have to wait for it to come to the big screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back