• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Movie The Revenant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will see it

Interesting they are alluding (I think) to the Aricara attack on the Ashley/Henry 1822/3 Yellowstone expedition - that area looks nothing like the portrayal in the film - The Aricara village straddled the buttes above the Missouri and Grand Rivers that is very rolling with some pines and oaks not the towering area mountains portrayed in the movie.

the Texas Rising mini-series had the same problems of lookin' nothin' like the area portrayed along with playin' fast & loose with the history involved. but as I said, ya don't have many options when it comes to this type movie so i'll go see it.

It's a true-story-inspired Hollowood Mountain Man movie. Hello! It needs...

...Mountains.

Now, someone PLEASE tell me manly man's Mountain Man Dicaprio dies towards the end.

Alden said:
It's a true-story-inspired Hollowood Mountain Man movie. Hello! It needs...

...Mountains.

Now, someone PLEASE tell me manly man's Mountain Man Dicaprio dies towards the end.
Huh, still miffed cause they didn't ask you to play the lead... Maybe in the sequel

Don't know how long the movie covers. Glass would not die until about 8 years later. My old timers memory puts it '32 or '33. As I wright this I'm remebering him and Rose together killed by Aricara :idunno:

Yup, no-one exemplifies today's model of masculinity like Dicaprio. This'll be as good as Redford in Jeremiah Johnson -- a timeless classic that the producers knew was so bad they released it in Sweden three and a half months before they would premier it in the U.S. where it was almost never going to be distributed.

I'm gonna wait for the sequel then though. May I presume he is tortured first and then dies slowly, on screen?

tenngun said:
Don't know how long the movie covers. Glass would not die until about 8 years later. My old timers memory puts it '32 or '33. As I wright this I'm remebering him and Rose together killed by Aricara :idunno:

That's the history that I remember too. That probably won't be covered in this movie.

Given such brilliant Hollowood mumbling, 'cause that's the way people talked in historic times (or with British accents), as "I ain't afraid to die [pregnant pause], I done it already," to speak for it how can it not be a great film!?

I am looking forward to this one...first time I have seen the trailer. When I stop at a Red Box these days...I usually find absolutely nothing that I am interested in wasting 2 hours on...as I flip through the romance comedy's and the fast and furious #10....and the Oceans Eleven #13....and all the gangsta flicks. I hope it does well...and we see a whole bunch of others like it to follow. I almost never go to the movies...I might even pay the extra $ to see it on the big screen :hmm: The truth is....everybody on this forum will own it...and watch it again and again...and it will sit right next to Jeremiah Johnson and Mountain Men in our private collections. Wow...I've got to watch that trailer again...did he shoot that guy out of the tree with a pistol? You have to hand it to Leo...I have done some shooting with a very similar pistol...and that is not an easy shot :grin:

vtbuck223 said:
The truth is....everybody on this forum will own it...and watch it again and again...and it will sit right next to Jeremiah Johnson and Mountain Men in our private collections.

Not the truth. I could be wrong but I am certain there is no, embarrassing, copy of Jeremiah Johnson in our varied and extensive film library. And I am absolutely positive there is no (The?) Mountain Men; I gave the (two movie?) VCR tape of it with somebody's (love Jack London, but) awful rendition of The Call of the Wild away in, hmmm... The early 90's? So, unwatchably, bad!

Yes, I will see this new movie. However, it is unlikely I will ever own it. I assure everybody on this forum, no, I will not watch it again and again under any circumstances...

...except for any single scene where we are rewarded with Dicaprio lucidly lamenting, languishing in, the painful throes of death.

Whether people who actually know something about muzzleloaders and the history of the Fur Trade will like the movie remains to be seen, depending on how close it is to reality vs fantasy (it is Hollywood after all, so we all know how that goes).

But even if it doesn't live up to the standards of those in the know, a possible result of this movie is that maybe it will spur some interest in traditional muzzleloaders among today's younger shooters after years of decline. That would be pretty cool.

Like Back To The Future spurred skate boards... That WOULD be cool!

'course it could also backfire and draw attention to the plight of indigenous peoples everywhere historically to guns by societies who thought themselves more advanced, and previously by-and-large ignored arms and black powder purchased through the "antiques loophole" will need to be controlled by the ever-improving state. Like in the examples the UK and Australia have set. Ya know, for the chidren... The CHIDREN!

"Look, if it saves just o n e m o r e l i f e..."

I do own how the west was won, the Mountian men, Jeremiah Johnson, the patriot, the last of the Mohicans who shot liberty valance and many othe John Wayne westerns including the Alamo. Along with billy bob thortons Alamo. Yes I complain about them but still watch them over and over. Fact is when I put on my outfit I miss my Tandy gold deer skin and miss bill tylor.

Alden said:
Like Back To The Future spurred skate boards... That WOULD be cool!

'course it could also backfire and draw attention to the plight of indigenous peoples everywhere historically to guns by societies who thought themselves more advanced, and previously by-and-large ignored arms and black powder purchased through the "antiques loophole" will need to be controlled by the ever-improving state. Like in the examples the UK and Australia have set. Ya know, for the chidren... The CHIDREN!

"Look, if it saves just o n e m o r e l i f e..."

lol

Whatever you say, man. Have a nice day, if that's possible for you.

Maybe switching to decaf will help.

This post isn't directed to anyone in particular....just my general, disinterested views.

It's amazing that this topic generated so many responses and views as to what a "mountain man movie" should be like...including the correct historical story and casting.

Believe me...the Hollywood company that produces this new movie will be greatly concerned whether it'll be profitable....that's their main reason for producing the movie.

So....will the movie portray the characters as "we" would like....I doubt it because "we" have varied ideas how a "mountain man" movie should portray that which "we" have in our minds or dreams.

The producers of this movie will cater to "tastes" other than ours, because "ours" isn't the general movie going public and that's where the money is.

I'll watch the movie when it's available on one of my "premium movie" channels and seeing I didn't spend a whole lot of money getting it, I'll enjoy it for what it is.... a Hollywood production. This isn't meant to be a criticism of Hollywood.....I view and enjoy many of their movies...it's just that making a convincing, realistic "mountain man " movie is quite impossible. Afterall....they're not magicians......Fred

flehto said:
Believe me...the Hollywood company that produces this new movie will be greatly concerned whether it'll be profitable....that's their main reason for producing the movie.

So....will the movie portray the characters as "we" would like....I doubt it because "we" have varied ideas how a "mountain man" movie should portray that which "we" have in our minds or dreams.

The producers of this movie will cater to "tastes" other than ours, because "ours" isn't the general movie going public and that's where the money is.
Very well said. I also believe this to be true of most "documentaries".

Good point. Gods and generals tried to recreate the past pretty hard, and didn't do that well at the box office. Even some very good historic movies like midway or bridge to far had to go off the rails. It's an old problem. The illiad would not be remembered today if it stuck to the facts. So many of us got our start watching fess Parker . I wonder how many started reading 'they met at gettysburg".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back