• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Ohio deer limit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Rorar

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Did anyone see the new proposed deer limits in Ohio for deer during the early bow season? Instead I think they should make it a primative ml season (side lock, round ball, no scope). I dont think most bow hunters are after the extra does. A primative ml season may put more hunters in the woods who would take deer. This would help thin the herd more if that is the goal.
James

I just saw that. If you hunted all three zones you would have a VERY full freezer! It would make sense to make an additional Primitive ML season. Would be great for me as I hunt deer with my ML only. I don't like shotguns.

I am glad someone agrees with me. I am going to Email the Ohio DNR and see if I get a responce as to a primative mz season vs just allowing bow hunters to kill extra does.
James

We do that in Pa. now for the past couple yrs.But then their letting guys hunt with the other rifle xxxxxx and the goal or whatever you want to call it is to eradicate the deerr in Pa. Dont do what were doing here in Pa. theres a real deerwar going on over here for sure. :hatsoff:

Jim,
I saw that in this last Sundays Columbus
Dispatch. If I read it correctly it would be
possible, with the proper permits, to take up
to 7 deer. I agree, some extra days of primitive
hunting,(no I/L or scopes) would be great. I to
have sent an e-mail to the ODNR stating as much.
I can't see, at least for myself, the need to
harvest 7 deer. I would enjoy the extra days to
hunt though. I,like Strykerdlh, hunt only with
my ML's.
snake-eyes :hmm:

:hmm: Me thinks we may have something here. :applause: I will also send a email to ODNR. I would love to see more smokepoles in the woods and fields. I also hunt ML during gun season, although it's an inline for gun. I use a 50 cal flinter for ML season.

Here's the link for anyone interested. Link

If you have an opinion, I think we should let them know.

Snake eyes said ""'I can't see, at least for myself, the need to
harvest 7 deer. I would enjoy the extra days to
hunt though. """"" ah don't worry snake! in n.y. we can get 4....an late ml season you can use them all..this past year 4 of us got to ml season,and had 12 tags left..hmmm still have 12 tags left! course n.y. does it jes to sell licenses..there don't necessarily have to be deer,,an there ain't many where i hunt..but i get a long season hunt only w/ ml's so guess that parts good,,,course after this winters storms an the ice we jes got i gotta wonder how many deer will be left :(

Ian,
I have never received an answer to any
e-mails I have sent on issues. However, if I
take the time to write a letter I usually do
receive a reply.

I sent one and got a reply that they could not understand the language in the message. Turns out that my yahoo e-mail is sending messages in Cryllic. Stupid yahoo. :shake:

I have not read about the new limits, but I have many of my bowhunting friends telling me of it. I am just trying to understand why the state of Ohio wants to kill of the deer herd. Ohio has had several years, that some great book bucks have been taken and now they want to up the limits in order to cash in, on out of state hunters. Our deer herd is decent, but it is not that great to suppport that kind of harvest. It appears to many of us here to be a short sighted income grab, that will soon disappear with the killing off of the herd. What a waste and a shame. Some of the descion making, is obviously made by desk jokeys, not by people who are out in the field, that know the score. Ohio strung out the regular gun season, with a weekend on and a week off and screwed up the deer patterns and now they want to make a bigger mess of it.

Dave,
Click on the link above by halfmoonranger
and it will tell you about the new rules.

Dave
To help with understanding some of the reasons Ohio fells it still needs to lower the deer population. Last Friday I went to my fathers farm in Pike county, it right in the corner where Pike, Adams, and Scioto counties all meet up.
There were 18 deer standing in the front yard at dusk. I took a drive around the area, less than 1 mile square. I counted 46 deer in the fields on Friday and 38 on Saturday. We had to put up electric fence to keep deer out of the garden. It is difficult to keep them from budding the apple and peach trees in the orchard, and they even eat up the flower beds right next to the house. So there are still too many deer in some areas while others don't seem to be quite as bad.
When I last talked with the county game protector he said in many areas the deer population is still growing.

Regards, Dave

You are right, in some areas there probably are too many deer. One thing though, at this time fo year,the deer are still bunched up. They will be dispersing soon though. So when you see a large herd, that is neat to see, but it also means that the deer in other areas have left and are now part of the herd you see. But, for the state to increase the harvest like this all over the entire area, I know by zones, is not in the best interest of the deer population, IMHO. It is in the interest of the state income though. The areas that have problems with landscape distruction and orchard distruction should have a higher harvest permit in those areas. Unfortunately, many of these areas are also close to housing, so archery is probably the safest way to control this deer population. I too am seeing large herds in some areas, but come actual spring, summer and fall, this deer population will disperse drastically. In an area of S.E. Ohio that I travel to hunt, that particular area has been hit hard by over harvesting, both during hunting seasons and out of hunting season. I had talked to a game warden just this past monday about this very issue. I he agreed with me and said that in I beleive 2010, they hope to be controlling the deer herd on a county by county basis which may even go to a township by township basis in time.

Well I received a reply from my e-mail to the ODNR.
It was from the head state wildlife bioligist in
Athens. To put it in a nutshell don't exspect any
additional muzzleloading hunting days in the near
future. And if they were added in would definately
include those other things.:cursing:
snake-eyes
:(

Wisconsin can top that! My land is in an earn a buck unit again for the 3rd time in the last four years. This mean everyone must shoot a doe before they can shoot a buck. Those who shot does last year already have earned their buck rights. Extra doe tags are $2 each and you can have as many extra doe tags as you have $2 to pay for them. Guess I will get to test a bunch of loads in my muzzle loaders. The Wisconsin DNR have 35 deer management units in earn a buck and even more in herd control units, very few units will have a deer season as we knew it years ago.

Hardeman co , Tennessee was included with several other counties as a quota hunt of the regular number of buck plus three does a day. I could have taken 97 deer. The TWRA was influenced by the auto insurance agency. Too many deer hit claims. I did manage to take a young piebald this past season. Rare for my area.

be careful what you wish for. pa. decide to try a "Quality Deer Management" program. they wanted to thin the doe pop. and put antler restrictions on the bucks. Well, I don't think it worked out to good. the game comm. got what they wanted though,hardly any deer left. There not all to blame though. Every city slicker with a rifle blazing away is really what hurt. they feel they aren't a real man or a great hunter if they don't fill there tags. Wish you guys luck

Latest posts

Back