• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Pietta Remington Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My latest Pietta 1858 Remington .36 caliber has the post front sight broken out of its solder hole.
Let me go look at the date code on it...

It's 2002.

Nice article. I liked his idea of putting solder on the bottom of the sight to flow once it is in proper position, however I do think that is overkill. A proper fitting sight to dovetail relationship really shouldn’t need that. Plus were I to use his solder method I would use soft solder not silver (hard solder). I would not use an acid based flux for the soft solder job as that would remove the bluing. There are non-acidic fluxes available.

To flow the hard solder you would have to heat the barrel pretty hot which would ruin the bluing in that area and if you didn’t protect the bore with a product that would resist fire scale from forming, you would end up with fire scale in the bore and it can be pretty thick depending on how hot you get the steel and how long you have the torch on it.

If I had a somewhat sloppy fit I would probably flow some red Loktite in the gap. Providing the gap wasn’t too large, that should fix the sight in place.

Latest posts

Back