• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Remington 1858 to Buy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Group,

I am looking to purchase a new Remington 1858. Opinions on brand?
Highest Quality is my goal, and it would be used as a shooter, not a wall hanger.

Marc
It depends on how big your hands are. The Remington frame was to small for me to shoot comfortably, Pietta offers a large frame version that fits my hand perfectly. If size is not a problem, it's just a matter of company preference.

My stainless Uberti has been flawless.

I like how they hide the BP warnings on the underside of the barrel.

Have you considered the Ruger OA?

Not a pure 1858 but exceptional quality.
There was one for sale here recently at a great price.

My Uberti:

View attachment 345642
That is a very nice gun. I suppose we all have some degree of vanity. Mine is strong enough to permit looks to heavily influence 1858 choices, and sufficiently powerful to keep the practical but hideous G word carry piece out of my home. I say all that to express my opinion that yours is the most gorgeous revolver I have ever seen. I have saved the photo to make it my tablet's home screen. Thanks for showing us.

Group,

I am looking to purchase a new Remington 1858. Opinions on brand?
Highest Quality is my goal, and it would be used as a shooter, not a wall hanger.

Marc
Hege, Pedersoli, or Pietta Shooters model would be my first, second, and third choices. Uberti in fourth place and anything else I wouldn’t consider if highest quality is truly a concern.

The general opinion seems to be that if you intend to shoot it a lot, stay away from the brass frame versions.

Regarding contributing to the forum, the membership is very reasonable and allows you to access the boards that you found restricted. Money well spent for what I consider the best forum that I ever belonged to, and I belong to quite a few.

BTW, as someone else noted, the Ruger Old Army is an extremely well made BP revolver and yes there have been many excellent deals on this site to pick one up.
I got an 1858 brass frame shot it maybe 6-700 times and it is as tight as a new steel frame 1858 I got. with the top strap and screwed in barrel no problems. stay away from brass colt open tops

It depends on how big your hands are. The Remington frame was to small for me to shoot comfortably, Pietta offers a large frame version that fits my hand perfectly. If size is not a problem, it's just a matter of company preference.
I think it was Talyor & company that made a large frame 1858

The general opinion seems to be that if you intend to shoot it a lot, stay away from the brass frame versions.

I don't know why. My last one was a brass frame by ASM and it shoots fine. The only brass-related disadvantage I can see is possible glare from the brass sight channel. But where I have shot it I haven't had a chance to evaluate that. Maybe you might make a case for harder to keep the brass clean and shiny. But IMO that's just a small price to pay for its good looks:

Armi San Marcos Remington 1858.JPG

The only real disadvantage for me to THIS particular revolver is its standard grip frame, which is somewhat cumbersome for me to properly grip and properly position my trigger finger. I prefer the large-frame version, which provides a little more distance to the trigger.

Last edited:
That is a very nice gun. I suppose we all have some degree of vanity. Mine is strong enough to permit looks to heavily influence 1858 choices, and sufficiently powerful to keep the practical but hideous G word carry piece out of my home. I say all that to express my opinion that yours is the most gorgeous revolver I have ever seen. I have saved the photo to make it my tablet's home screen. Thanks for showing us.
Kind words, indeed!

I’ve always had a thing for the 1858, but I must admit to also being partial to the 1851 Colt, so I picked up a 2nd Gen.
It’s one of the 300 they made with a blank cylinder.

Not as durable as the stainless but beautiful just the same.

74A2CF0A-9F0D-453D-833E-0BFA5353A16B.jpeg

I don't know why. My last one was a brass frame by ASM and it shoots fine. The only brass-related disadvantage I can see is possible glare from the brass sight channel. But where I have shot it I haven't had a chance to evaluate that. Maybe you might make a case for harder to keep the brass clean and shiny. But IMO that's just a small price to pay for its good looks:

View attachment 345753

The only real disadvantage for me to THIS particular revolver is its standard grip frame, which is somewhat cumbersome for me to properly grip and properly position my trigger finger. I prefer the large-frame version, which provides a little more distance to the trigger.
It’s a durability thing; brass just isn’t as strong as steel, but if you stick with reasonable loads you should be ok.

I have both Uberti in .36 and Pietta in .44. They are both excellent and the only complaint I have about Pietta is their location of all those ugly warnings and maker stamps. Uberti hides them under the loading lever. I compared it to the Pietta .44 frame and the Uberti .36 looks a tad smaller. You can’t go wrong with either maker.
Almost forgot, get all steel frame for strength and durability.

Maybe check out the link below. Just additional stuff you can’t access right now. Personal opinion, but if all you are interested in is traditional muzzleloading, you may be good with what you have access to. If peaking under the hood and engaging in other maybe not what one would always call traditional muzzleloading topics, consider signing up and paying a bit for that privilege . https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/account/upgrades
Thank you!

Kind words, indeed!

I’ve always had a thing for the 1858, but I must admit to also being partial to the 1851 Colt, so I picked up a 2nd Gen.

View attachment 345778
I do not imply that your choice of the most beautiful revolvers are not valid, however, although I really like my 1858 Remington, to me, the 3rd model Colt dragoon is the most beautiful revolver ever made. It is not only functional, powerful, and muscular, it seems to me, it truly is a useful, and masculine firearm. It reminds me of a black powder version of a 1968 Harley Davidson xlch. I know this sounds kind of corney, but I will be 70 in a month or so, and I just had to speak my mind.
Kind words, indeed!

View attachment 345778

Latest posts

Back