• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Remington 1858 to Buy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My stainless Uberti has been flawless.

I like how they hide the BP warnings on the underside of the barrel.

Have you considered the Ruger OA?

Not a pure 1858 but exceptional quality.
There was one for sale here recently at a great price.

My Uberti:

View attachment 345642
The ROA is a Whitney with coil springs and a larger bore. A true .45 (.457) versus a .44 (.451). 1858 cylinder notches, retained double pin compound action loading ram.
Spiller and Burr was a brass framed 58 clone scaled down to .36, currently only available in a Traditions blister pack starter kit.
I’d love to get a stainless 58 with the optional Bear Paw grip frame. I wear a 4x to 5x glove, anything smaller than my ROA with a Super Blackhawk gripframe is too small.

The ROA is a Whitney with coil springs and a larger bore. A true .45 (.457) versus a .44 (.451).

Nope, they're. 45's ( .452) just like Pietta and Uberti "44's". .457" balls just give you more bearing surface for the 1:18" rifling. The ball is "sized" at loading ( same as with all cap gun revolvers).

Mike

Nope, they're. 45's ( .452) just like Pietta and Uberti "44's". .457" balls just give you more bearing surface for the 1:18" rifling. The ball is "sized" at loading ( same as with all cap gun revolvers).

Mike
I can shake a .452 right out of the chamber. Can “seat” them with a pencil.

I can shake a .452 right out of the chamber. Can “seat” them with a pencil.

Yap, but you can't shove the .452 down the "bore" of the barrel without a rod and a hammer . . . just like a Blackhawk, Colt SAA, Uberti Dragoon, Pietta .44 Army/Navy et al.

You're correct in that the ROA is a ".45" but just like the Uberti /Pietta (and others) are ".45's".

My 5 ROA's wouldn't be nearly as accurate as they all are if the bore was .457" (.452's would rattle down the barrel like .38's (.357) in a .36 (.375)!!!! 😆).

Mike

Kind words, indeed!

I’ve always had a thing for the 1858, but I must admit to also being partial to the 1851 Colt, so I picked up a 2nd Gen.
It’s one of the 300 they made with a blank cylinder.

Not as durable as the stainless but beautiful just the same.

View attachment 345778
Nice looking grip on that one, very attractive and really looking like the features of an early '51

Nice looking grip on that one, very attractive and really looking like the features of an early '51
Thanks, I added them!

It came with wood; here’s a shot with the unmentionable conversion cylinder.

Glad you like the new ones!

7D6CCA66-F975-461B-91F9-3C4F5F7ED1BA.jpeg

Latest posts

Back