• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtcurman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is a horn I just finished up. Since it's 2012 and the bicentennial of the War of 1812, I carved the date 1812 as well as LIBERTY and Psalms 59:1. I still have to make a staple and put a strap on it.
Here's some pictures.

Before...

IMG_5777.jpg

After...

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0001-1.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Hope you enjoyed seeing it as much as I enjoyed making it! :thumbsup:

Ben

Son, your well on your way to becoming a great artist in muzzleloading. I agree, you should at some time turn to building guns! I look forward to seeing more of your work! If you ever decide to sell something you made, I would love to have the honor of buying your first!

Simple , plain, but nice! Most people in 1812 did not have the fancy horns we so often see today! :idunno: We need more people your age getting into this game!

Thank you for the kind words fellers! :thumbsup: I am planning on building a rifle or two before too long. My dad has made several rifles from scratch so I'll have a good tutor! :thumbsup:

~Ben

S.kenton said:
What process did you use to darken the horn and scrimshaw?

Black spray paint and Min-Wax dark walnut stain. I would apply, then wipe it off with a rag. The paint stayed in the scrimshaw and around the nails to give the horn an aged look and darken the scrimshaw. The stain gives it a slight brown hue.

Awesome work, Ben. Not just raw talent here. Your work shows that you really know what you are doing.

James

Latest posts

Back