• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New rifle/newish member

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter72

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Evening ladies and Gents.
Long time lurker here from way too sunny NSW Australia.
Just picked up my first PRB rifle today.
A Pedersoli Traditional Hawken in .54 cal.
The few comments I've read have this rifle at the bottom end of Pedersoli's price list but it comes across as well put together. Not sure why it's listed as a target rifle on the Pedersoli Web site though.
Hopefully I'll get out on Monday to make smoke. Can't seem to find the attach option to add a pic.
My other BP rifle is a Euroarms 2 band Enfield which is a hoot shoot.

G'Day Mate! :haha:

And WELCOME

While the "pricing" may put the rifle at the bottom end on the Pedersoli scale, usually the Pedersolis function well and shoot very well. It's been my observation that when the prices go higher you are paying for cosmetics, except in the cases of actual "dedicated" target rifles where there is a bit more in sights and attention to the barrels.

LD

Welcome and share some NSW pics or we know you are making it all up. Yes, two bands are a hoot!

Your Pedersoli is a quality upgrade from my Lyman/Investarms .54 cal. and should give you plenty of accuracy.

At 50 yards (on a good day) I can gt a large raggedy hole on target. If I were a competent rifleman, it would be a smaller ragged hole.

Nice thing about .54 cal. is that its' easy to work up a load.

Your rifle is basically a TC clone. Thompson Center and that family of Euro-clones are all fine rifles.

Hello Pete from an even sunnier Qld.
Flintlock Pedersoli = grassfire here at the moment. Planing on doing a bit of shooting at home this weekend but will have to hose down the grass first.
Did you buy that rifle new or was it the one on Used Guns ?
O.

Good stuff. I got my Pedersoli Mortimer from Forbes.
I have been looking at the couple Pedersoli's that on used guns & that Charleville as well. Just cant identify the maker of the Charleville, seller can't either.
O.

Love to see and hear about this new gun -- they're sharp.

If you can dismiss it being India-made the Charleville's (particularly the 1777 to me) are so sweet. Bayonet mandatory! They ARE what they are though and might not be on my short-list if I lived in New South Wales or Queensland where it seems a little difficult to reasonably come by a blackpowder firearm...

I wouldn't say Bp firearms are difficult to come by.
You just have to know who imports them. Most of the larger Shops can import them.
The Pedersoli dealer for Australia has most popular firearms in stock.
I've also got a Lyman GPR flint lock lh .50 cal on order but not being a very popular firearm it's a decent wait ie: approximately 3 months so far and might not arrive till early next year.
Am heading out tomorrow to give the Hawken its first shots so I'll take some pics and post up some if my findings.

Three months for a gun? That's not a long time really to me.

I don't know why they have "target" in the title at Pedersoli; in the detailed description they check it off as for "sport target shooting" and "wild hunting" (as opposed to?) just as they do the two more classic Hawkens...

If it's like the ones we have here sold through a chain called Cabela's the rear sight (at least) may be anachronistic, modern, as on the Thompson/Center Hawken. Whilst it is not period correct it is arguably a better sight and maybe THAT's what makes it "target." Interestingly enough Cabela's does NOT include this word in their title.

SUNNY! 43deg west of Brisvegas all weekend. :redface: :surrender:

Welcome fellas and make smoke.

MM

Back