• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New rifle ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLDBRO

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 50/capper CVA mtn rifle that I built from a kit when I was a young man and then a few years later I purchased a 54 TC Hawkins.Just started shooting them both again this fall.
I would like to add a flinter and would like input
on a good rifle under $800.00.I have read the posts available but would like to know if there is anything I should shy away from. Thanks all.

Before developing visual problems that made me a left hander, I was enjoying a .54 Cabela's flint Hawken. That style breech makes for easier clean-up and it is one with which you have experience already.I bought mine used but they are in the current catalog new. Just my two cents...GrampaJ in NC :v

Ditto.

My GPR is great.

Never liked Cabelas stuff because they have their name on the gun in very big letters. UGLY

I had a 54 cal GPR flinter I realy liked that rifle used it more than my semi custom mostly becouse of the sights, I had a Lyman peep on it.

I made my .54 GPR flint from a kit my wife bought me from DNR Sports: http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/D___R_Catalog_Lyman_Muzzleloaders_649.html . They have the best kit price. For the best production price check Midsouth Shooters: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000156031106 . From kit form it is very easy to assemble. The GPR is very good looking rifle that is rugged and a straight shooter. I bought a .54 GPR percussion about 30 years ago. Loved it so much I just had to have one in flint. The sad thing is I hardly ever touch that cap gun now. I think you'll enjoy one as much as the rest of us :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear you about the LOGO placement ugliness. I stand opposed to all that practice, especially on any traditional items. It is so Donald Trumpy!

I like the 54 caliber Flinter too. Lyman makes good ones. There are plenty of rifle builds you can do as well from the array of gun parts and kits suppliers whose names are often bandies about on this forum.

I have to second Mike Brooks on that, but I guess it would depend on ones own idea of quality. In my opinion a poor flintlock is only little better than none. I would not recommend any of those mentioned above unless you are prepared for frustration, and poor performance. Yes, on occassion you can luck into one of those that acually works, but on average it's a manure shoot.

Please Explain. What do you get for 1600 bucks that you don't get with the TC or lyman.

Well, you get an American made, high quality lock, custom LOP to fit you, furniture of your choice, very nice wood, A basically hand built gun and decades of trouble free service. Actually you can get a plain yet high quality gun for somewhat less, say, around $1200 plus or minus. It will be no frills but that's what I prefer for hunting. Also it's not a crapshoot. A fine rifle is quite obtainable for well under two bills. Look at what's for sell and you will probably run across some deals.

I have a Brad Emig longrifle and a Caywood trade gun and I paid well under $1k apiece for them. I bought them both used but in very good condition. The Caywood came with a handmade pouch, a Tim Ridge horn and accoutrement. You just have to keep your eyes peeled and know what you want and what you are willing to pay for it.

Bobby Christian in Booneville, MS - just finished my rifle for under $1000 - highly recommend him :thumbsup:

Good quality parts are expensive, a good solid piece of sugar maple (without a lot of curl) will run around a hundres bucks sometimes a little less. If you want vivid curl from top to bottom well the sky's pretty much the limit on up to a thousand bucks but a pretty peice can be had for 2-300.00. A swamped rice barrel is 230-250.00. Colerain 180-200.00. Jim Chambers lock 135.00 and brass add about another 100-125.00. Not to mention misc. screws, pins plus shop stuff such as sanpaper tools ect. So you're 600-800.00 in parts for top quality stuff. 100 hours in a custom built rifle is about right, some are quicker. So If you pay 1600.00 for a rifle minus the parts money the builder really isn't making Donald Trump wages. Save your money do your research get in line with a quality builder and get an heirloom built that you can pass on to your kids.

LilGuy,
For not tooo much more than you want to spend you can go to TVM and get something that will be worth having. I was able to get one recently that is a really nice looking rifle and is all quality.
Mark

I am on the other side of the fence than some of these guys... Though I do appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship of the hand-made quality guns out there, my guns are shooters. I love reading and learning about the history but have no interest in re-enacting it. I have several caplocks and have been shooting a TC Hawken flinter for close to 20 years. It is not historically correct but has been a great shooter, and to my eye an attractive looking rifle. My only occasional misfires are due to my lack of care in keeping my flint sharp at times. Any other time it goes boom pretty much the same as my caps. I believe this is to be expected with any flintlock.
It was very fussy about loads to get decent round ball accuracy with the OEM 1-48 shallow groove barrel, but after changing to a GM barrel it is super accurate.
Perhaps some day I will have the cash for a pretty custom built longrifle, I would love to have one, but for now, I enjoy what I got.

Latest posts

Back