• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New rifle ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are period replicas,beautiful.Don't know where to start.There is no dealer where you can go
and feel the lines of these guns and I am it when it comes to ML shooting in my circle of friends.I live, shoot and hunt NW of Chicago.I have used my Mtn rifle as a varmiter on woodchucks,coons and coyotes.My Hawkens I use on Whitetails, So any suggestion greatly appreciated.

LilGuy,
Contact TVM and ask Matt for references of people in your area that have purchased his rifles. I'm certain that someone near you would be glad to show off what they have and maybe make arrangements to get togather with you. We never hesitate to welcome a new shooter or one who wants to get involved.
Mark

There is an active gun club of muzzleloaders near Rockford, and a large range an gun club just north of the border near Lake County, called the State Line Gun Club. I believe there is also a gun club in BOONE county, east of Rockford.

Do some asking around, or contact the NMRLA to give you contact information for Charter clubs, and their Northern Illinois Representatives. Those folks will be happy to help you find a BP gun club where you can meet and shoot with other shooters, get to see their guns, and ask all the questions you have. :hmm:

Here is the Link to the Club list on the Muzzleloader Magazine website. You should be able to find a club near you. Go to one os their minthly shoots and I am sure they will bend over backwards to bring you into the fold.
http://www.muzzleloadermag.com/Clubs/Club_Page.htm

Green Mountain barrels makes replacement drop in barrels for the TC Hawken and Renegade. But they are not in stock now because of Military Contracts. But they do list their 15/16 54 cal. Percussion barrel as available. One of the Forum members, Roundball, Has one of them. And he swares by it. But he had to pay them around $25.00 extra to have a Flint Breachplug installed. That is the only way to get a 54 cal. to fit your TC Hawken stock. Or if you want to stay with 50 cal. you can buy a Roundball barrel,32" 1 in 66" twist from TC, but I don't know if you can still get one in Flint from them. The TC RB barrel is much better finished than the GM. I have a TC 50 cal. RB barrel on the rifle in my signature. And it's a Tack Driver. If you order a RB barrel from TC make sure you specify that you do not want the QLA counter bored muzzle.

Those custom Rifles are nice but I just can't spend $1600 for one. One from TVM with nice wood will set you back at least $1250 and that is a rifle with no patchbox or carving.

You can get a L&R Replacement Flintlock from Track of the Wolf. Or a TC Flintlock from TC? or buy one off of ebay and send it to TC for the upgrad Hammer and Frizzen under their Lifetime warranty.

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 TC Hawkens 54's. Are you saying I could convert one to flintlock? :hmm:

once in awhile you can find a "old style " shop. i found one with a selection of flinters & cap rifles with everything else you could need . brought home a nice .45 flint thats light in hand and i hope to kill a deer with it this season. built by a local ,seems to be decent quailty ,lock fires fast and it looks good to me and was well under 800

Yes. Buy a used Flint Lock on ebay or one of the Auction sites and a Flint barrel and they will fit in your stock and then sell your used percussion lock and barrel on ebay to off set the price of the Flint parts.

Robert

I can personally recommend TVM ([email protected]). Their prices, and quality, are difficult to beat. I have several TVM guns and they really do want you to be satisfied. Great people to deal with. There is also North Star West which has a great reputation. There are others I'm not as familiar with that have good reputations.

Latest posts

Back