• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mail ordering primers and powder required a haz mat fee. If you order enought it isnt too bad but just one can of either one will be very expensive.
I buy my powder 5# at a time from a local vendor and dont have any problems with caps except that I like the Remingtons and cant seem to find them anywhere. On line is the way to go most of the time and I use it a lot. FRJ

Adui

I cast for a couple of pistols so the roundball with be no problem once I have the mould. The best place for good lead is a plumbing supply, and the rest is something to melt the lead in.

I think that this muzzleloading with just fit into the rest of my shooting.

Keep your powder dry.
LeeRoy

Yea, the only reason I went looking for the RB is my stuff was all in storage still in Oregon. No casting lead without my casting equipment. Fortunately, that's all here now. In fact yesterday I finished a lot of 100 .36 RB for my cap and ball pistol. :grin:

My new toy is a off the shelf .54 cal. Great plains, no frills or whitles.
LeeRoy[/quote]
Lyman barrels often leave the factory with rather sharp rifling that requires some polishing in order to get the best accuracy. There are a number of ways to accomplish that from steel wool to polishing compounds and even fire lapping with conicals that have been rolled in abrasives. Everyone has their own favorite method but just putting a hundred or so shots through it seems to work equally well. It's not unheard of for folks to sell an otherwise new, factory produced muzzle loader after only a dozen or so shots claiming poor accuracy when all they needed was some patience and a little extra work. I did have a Lyman Trade Rifle years ago that was tearing out the bullseye at 100 yards right out of the box, so not every Lyman bore needs final polishing but your spent patches will tell you what state your rifling is in. My Lyman .54 definately prefers 2f. Hope this helps and good luck with your new GPR.

I would like to think everyone for the responses.

I went to a fellow casters over the weekend and he let me use his .530 roundball mould. I cast a couple hundred roundball.

I have another question.
I bought some ticking and cut some 1 3/4" square patches. Is this the right size for a .54 cal. rifle?

Keep your powder dry.
LeeRoy

That size patch is fine though a little bigger than absolutely needed. I use that size for my .62 smoothie.

Thanks Hanshi.

I will make the next batch a little smaller. I only cut about 40 out of this yard of ticking.

Keep your powder dry.
LeeRoy

Back