• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New shooter question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claywms

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi folks. Glad I found this forum. I have a relatively simple question I hope someone can help me with. I am considering buying a Lyman Trade Rifle because I like its size, looks, and reputation as a quality gun at an affordable price. I have heard that a 1:60 twist is best for shooting roundball, which I want to shoot, but this rifle has a 1:48 twist. The Lyman Great Plains Rifle has the slower twist for roundball, but I'd prefer to buy the Trade Rifle if it will also shoot roundball accurately. My question is: how well can I expect to do shooting roundball with a 1:48 twist? Thanks for any help.

I have one of the Lyman GPR percussion hunter models with adjustable rear sight and the 1:48 twist. It shoots RB at 50 yds w/n a 2" group. For target and primitive biathlon shooting, I use 40gr. FFg with Wonder Lube patches. I don't find much accuracy difference between patch size or when using FFFg.

When you find the right load, you'll find 1:48 shoots accurately for hunting purposes. My best group from the bench was 2in at 75yds with a 70gr FFg charge. The only problem I've run in to with this twist is that groups open up considerably past 50 yds when I go over a 70gr charge.

C.J.
I had one of those back in the eighties. It shot very well. I once shot a 2 and a half inch group at one hundred yards over sand bags. I liked it a lot right up until I built my first custom flinter.
volatpluvia

Best shootin I ever did was with a 1:48 twist barrel and prb's. Course my eyes were over 30 years younger too. :hmm:

Thanks everyone! What patch/ball combinations have you found to shoot well in .54 cal?

...I use a T/C Hawken and a Pedesoli... each have 1:48 (Pedersoli may be 1:47, can't remember)...both shoot sub-2 inch groups at 50 yards...sub-2.5" at 75 yards... 75 yards is difficult enough... need rifle rest... doubt my eyes are good enough to shoot 100 yards anymore... so I don't bother on the range or when hunting...
Bob

I do it all the time. This is an offhand 50 yard group with a 1:48" twist and round balls in a .50 T/C New Englander (my most used percussion rifle & the rifle I carry in bad weather during regular deer season). IMHO it is easy to get light loads to shoot well in a 1:48 but heavier loads may take some work.

Diamond.jpg

Now, it did take me some experimenting to find a heavy enough accurate load for hunting, but it was worth it. My .54 Renegade is 1:48 and that likes round ball loads light, medium or heavy.

I have a flintlock .54 Lyman Trade Rifle, it seems to do well with 90 grains Goex fffg, .018 patched .530 ball. This rifle is very accurate, I couldn't be happier with mine.

C J unless your going out to shoot for big buck's ( as in money not the deer) it is as good as you could want. :grin: Fred :hatsoff:

Stumpkiller, you're my off-hand hero. Now I've got something to work towards!

I'd like to say I could do that every time. ;-) Deadeye is my offhand hero. That boy can flat shoot!

The target is a "cheater" type. With a 6:00 hold on that lower diamond point I am centered with the sight adjustment on that rifle. I like to be between 1" & 2" high at 50 yards for deer hunting. I'm pleased any time I can keep them in the black.

With my .54 flinter I'd be doing backflips after putting three in that center box offhand. On a "good day" I could do it sitting and resting my elbows on my knees (but that's not a 1:48" twist like C.J. was asking about). Probably 90% of the shooting I do is offhand so I get a lot of practice.

Mr. Williams,
Our .54cal flintlock Lyman Trade Rifle provides excellent hunting accuracy with PRB. Over the years we have taken quite a few Caribou with it.
Must admit I can not duplicate Mr. Stumpkiller's ability but that is the fault of myself, not the rifle.
You will have fun finding that seemingly magical combination of patch, powder and RB that performs best.
Best Wishes

The bad rap 1-48" got was due to the way the rifling was pressed early on, I'm talking about the 60's. Unfortunately, it stuck. The guns had three wide and shallow grooves cut for Minie balls, not for patched balls. Modern guns are cut for patched balls. Besides, a couple guys named Hawkens from St.Louis did pretty good with 1-48" twist as I recall! :thumbsup:

Back